PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 8. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.

Comments

• could you add me to the list please I would like to lose 14lbs. It is the first time everr I have been in the 12's at 12 stone 1, I am 5ft 10 so would be happy between 10 7 and 11stone (I tend to fluctuate anyway) To money save I have given up the gym but I will run when I can at lunchtimes and do exercise dvd's.

Good luck everyone:)
  • cpt574
    cpt574 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Hi, please may I join, feeling very scared at the prospect of even trying to lose weight as i have tried (albeit somewhat halfheartedly) and failed to lose more than a couple of pounds sooooo many times before. But at 11.4 and only 5"2 i think enough is enough. However my aim this next year was to cook from scratch as much as poss. and esp enourage the kids to eat more veg, try new meals etc. I feel eating low carb would prob be best for me, but feel really conflicted and worried. Hope to lose 20 pounds ideally, any advice and support would be really appreciated. :) thanks
  • Heartboy
    Heartboy Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 30 December 2011 at 2:00PM
    Hi

I've just registered so I can join you please. Just got on the scales 11st 11lbs - nightmare. I was only 10 st last year which is my ultimate goal again (so almost 2 stone to loose) but for the initial challenge could you put me down for 14lbs. Thanks.

My main resolution is to drink less red wine which I do every day at the moment. It seems to be a catalyst to my eating - makes me start exploring the cupboard for something tasty to eat!

Jo
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    It is lovely to see so many new posters and of course us regulars:T:T:T

A major part of Old Style is all about cooking from scratch and is much easier as regards family meals. There shouldn't be too much conflict and there is a low carb thread on Health and Beauty which is a subdivision of Family and Moneysaving.

Very slow progress is positively encouraged and embraced on this thread as slowly but surely the weight stays off. Small changes all add up and when these become the norm then another change can be introduced which will all contribute to a greater sense of wellbeing and a more healthy weight and lifestyle x
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    oops, forgot my menu earlier

B - F&F, ss milk
    Lunch - dry-fried onion, mushrooms, the lean bit of the bacon, rf sausage, egg
    T - will be crispbread with vegemite
    Snacks - fruit
    Exercise - 1/2 hour pulm, 10 mins step, 10 mins weights. Phew, jiggered!

New Year resolutions
    1. Go through the larder and get rid of (to night shelter etc) what I don't use
    2. Cheese is my downfall so will only buy rf cheese, and only eat cheese twice a week
    3. Eat my main meal at lunchtime, not in the evening
    4. Try to do 1/2 hour pulm, 10 mins step, 10 mins weights every day :eek:
    5. When I make a loaf, freeze two separate thirds of it instead of eating it all 'or it will get stale'
    6. Likewise when cooking I'll freeze in smaller portions

I was going to sneak in no alcohol or chocs/biscuits/cake but I'm teetotal and don't really like sweet stuff so that would be cheating ;)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    OS all the way here. I'm very OS anyway and I think that will help when it comes to choosing better ingredients for weight loss purposes i.e. steady on the cream, skimmed milk, watch out for cheese consumption, maybe rid of white breads, pasta and rice. When the stocks are down of course ;)

I've been thinking carefully why I am slowly but steadily putting on weight and I think it is eating too much. I walk 5 miles a day with the school and nursery runs. Add another 1 or 2 if I take the dog out. Yeah much of that is dawdling kids' pace but I'm still working. It has to be down to my portion sizes and I know that I do fill my plate up and I don't like to leave food either.

I do snack and I'm terrible for helping myself secretly to the children's goodies. All that will go and no more baking just for the sake of it. I do intend to incorporate a few puddings into my meal plan to eat on soup nights but I will be aware and try not to let that ruin my work. Like I say, as low fat as possible ingredients wise.

That being said, after a brill morning and good lunch I have just eaten kiddie sweeties and a fun size crunchie. This is what I do. Great intentions but when that urge comes along - bam. scoff. fatty. The answer is no temptation so in the new year no treats, our treats will be fruit and to be fair we all love a decent bit of fruit!
  • Molly41
    Forumite
    It is surprising how much bits and pieces add up and I know that to my peril. My weight loss lapses seem to be around holidays or dates such as Halloween and Christmas when the temptation gets too great. A sure fire way for me to lose weight is to cut out the rubbish and in-between eating and just eat smaller portions of normal food. Of course exercise or general activity plays it part but I cant exercise as I am disabled. However when my energy levels and balance permit, I consciously make the effort to up my activity such as going upstairs more and walking out to the garage to get the washing etc.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
  • Molly41
    Forumite
    My other tip is to practice Mindfulness when eating. Paul McK does a CD but it is also a concept you can develop yourself. I practice Mindfulness per se to help with my symptoms and the eating is an extension of this.

I make the effort to think very carefully about the foods I would like to eat or that my body craves such as oily fish when my B12 injection is due. I think about the textures, colours, tastes when eating the foods. I eat without distractions (at lunchtime when kids at school) and will savour the food. I dont count calories but eat what I need until I become comfortable so tune into my hunger levels. Keeping a diary can help.
  • Molly41
    Forumite
    Just need to practice what I preach:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • fuddle wrote: »
    Menu's and shopping lists? That makes me worry. I have already done mine for the month. I don't want to be getting into the '1 meal for me something different for the rest of the family' so I was wondering if I could eat the same as them but use a tea plate size portion. Would that work?

I lost 4 stone a few years ago (unfortunately 1/2 of it sneaked back on) and I ate the same evening meal as the rest of the family. I just changed the portion sizes. Less of the meat/potatoes and much more of the veg etc. If we had something like spaghetti bolognaise, I'd have half the normal portion and fill up my plate with salad. I cook our meals from scratch so I know what is going in them.

I am planning on doing the same again and also making a few of my own 'ready meals' to have when the family are having something that I don't want to eat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure