Charge for copies of my bank statements

Comments

• Just ask for details of all your charges rather than every bank statement - this should costs only £10
    The 'Toni' is as in Collette not Swiss :p

NEW to DFW
  • Hi

This is my first post in this forum so my apologies if this post is in the wrong place. I have gone through all the other areas to see if I could find the right place and this seemed the best.

My query is that my bank does not send out monthly bank statements so I normally print them out and I am afraid I missed 11 in total. The bank charges £10 per statement so getting these printed would cost a total of £110.

Is this seen as an unfair charge? I am happy to pay a nominal fee to get these printed but this amount does seem over the top.

Thank you

Richard
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am sure they can only charge you £10 in total, not £10 per statement. I am sure someone else will be along to clarify soon.
  • They can in fact charge per statement, if its copy statements you are asking for. You need to use the letter "ask for charge details" in Martin's article and ask for all information regarding your accounts under the DPA and the maximum charge for this is £10.

Step-by-step Guides: Bank Charges: Reclaim Your Cash | Top New Bank Account Calculator: Charge them interest Template Letters: (right click and save) Ask for charge details |Initial letter | Second letter | Small claims note Get Updates On Important Changes: Free Weekly Money Tip
  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    richingram wrote:
    My query is that my bank does not send out monthly bank statements so I normally print them out and I am afraid I missed 11 in total. The bank charges £10 per statement so getting these printed would cost a total of £110.

You must request a details of your charges with a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act.

The maximum allowed charge for all of this information is £10. If you just ask for statement copies, you may be charged per statement.
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thats it. I knew there was a particular request you had to make and I was just going to go back on other threads so I could repost the proper information. Glad you all beat me to it though.
  • bantoi
    bantoi Posts: 12 Forumite
    Abbey charges 10 UKP per statement. And yet under Data Protection Act we have the right to get the info, including old statements, about us for 10 UKP in total.

So if I was to request bank statements from them under Data Protection Act would I have to pay them 10 UKP plus 10 UKP per statement too ?

Or would just one off payment of 10 UKP cover it ?

Thank you
  • If you ask for statements the banks can and will charge per statement, you need to send the letter (which quotes the DPA) in Martin's article along with a cheque for £10.
  • drawle
    drawle Posts: 11 Forumite
    Having claimed back my bank charges on my current account I now what to proceed with getting my Halifax credit card charges back.
    I spoke to a lady at Halifax and she said they can charge up to £100 for statments (I want all statments going back since I opened the account in 2003)
    I said that acording to law the maximum charge was £10 and she said no this was wrong and it only applies to bank accounts.
    Now I was under the impression that the maximum charge was £10 for any bank related statments.
    Can anyone shed some light on this - as in what to say when she asks for £100 for my statments.

Thanks in advance to any replies :)
  • If you ask for copy statements all of the banks are entitled to charge per statement, you need to quote Martin's letter and ask for the list of your charges or if they prefer in the form of statements under the DPA for £10 in total.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure