PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice needed on Compliance Certificate for Freehold property

I am looking at the Ex-MOD houses at Wittering and the EA say that there is a yearly maintence charge for communal areas etc, which is about £200 pa they believe. The management company is Preim and I have found this on their website-

Property Sales -For freehold
– property sales we can issue a Compliance Certificate to comply with the restriction at the Land Registry in favour of the management company, and a “B” share in the management company. In order to provide this we require: Deed of Covenant completed and signed by the purchasers and inclusive of the completion date

Stock Transfer Form completed (Full buyers and sellers names in correct boxes) and signed by the sellers

The original Share Certificate or a letter (in place of the original share certificate) from the sellers themselves confirming that the share certificate is lost or never received.

Service charges and any other debts to the Management Company paid in full

£120+VAT = £144.00 for our administration fees (Separate to the sellers pack fee)

Obviously I will be taking advice from a Solicitor if I do proceed, but does anyone have any advice on what this may involve if I buy one of these properties??

Comments

• krispy444
    krispy444 Posts: 94 Forumite
    What exactly do you want to know ?
  • I was asking for advice regarding Compliance Certificates. Ive googled it but it seems to relate to Leasehold flats, but these are freehold houses.
    So my question is does anyone have any advice regarding buying a house with these conditions attached i.e are they any pittfalls etc.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear in asking the question.....
  • The communal areas will be owned & maintained by a management co.

Each purchase will be issued a share in the management co.

Compliance cert. is for the Land Regy, not the pchser.
  • The communal areas will be owned & maintained by a management co.

Each purchaser will be issued a share in the management co.

Compliance cert. is for the Land Regy, where presumably some restriction/requirement relating to the communal areas already exists.

Please excuse if I have already posted something similar, I can never remember how to navigate myself away from this blessed reply box!
  • Richard_Webster
    Richard_Webster Posts: 7,646 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you have a freehold property then a third party cannot collect money from you just because you are the owner. They can only do so if there has been a specific binding legal commitment signed by you e.g. in a deed of covenant.

So the people collecting the management charge want to make sure that they get a deed of covenant signed by each incoming buyer - so to make sure that happens there is requirement to obtain a certificate of compliance before the purchase can be registered at the Land Registry. They give that certificate if they get the deed of covenant. You have to pay the extra charges involved I'm afraid.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • That explains alot, many thanks for your replies.
  • We're also having this issue with our freehold property with communal areas managed by a residents committee. Is there a standard charge for supplying the certificate of compliance and who receives it? Is £250 a large amount to pay the management company?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure