PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    Excellent post, thriftwizard.

My city is built on ancient (think centuries old) mine workings. Nobody knows where most of them are and they're only discovered when they collapse, demolishing whatever home, business or road sits on top of them.

I know people who have had to flee fires. Fires which were extinguished without anything more than partial loss of the home but they were still in emergency accomodation for over a month. Dousing fires puts a lot of water into the home and bu88ers up the electrics and smoke damage is revolting. Did you know uPVC plastic doors and windows melt quite easily? It was a revelation to my pal. And those poor souls who've been severely flooded are sometimes out of their homes for a year.........

Great fun doing an emergency evac in the middle of the night and finding yourself on the street barefoot in your jammies. Think how comforting an emergency bag with some basic toiletries, a pair of knicks and your paperwork would have been.

The pal who was burned out is Ms Paranoid Prepper these days........

Quite.... I think some people just assume that preppers are dealing with a potential zombie/apocolypse situation... More fool them really, without wanting to appear rude.

Nobody knows what is round the corner and, thankfully, there are people who have read this thread and actually thought "I could learn from this" :)
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    This has come to light tonight which ties in with the earlier link...
    and again shows we don't know what's around the corner...

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/social-sector-housing-under-occupation-wr2011-ia.pdf
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • raphanius
    raphanius Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Frugal wrote: »
    Either our local MrT is having a problem getting stock or people are buying to store.

Lots of shelves empty or very low, even the freezers!!!

Broccoli is labelled as from Poland and is expensive. The cheap tinned potatoes were all gone and so had all the cheap value kidney beans and the brand up from that. No tinned tomato soup at all and no chicken pies in the freezer section whatsoever.

All a bit worrying if you ask me.

i can explain the lack of broccoli. thats down to the rain. crops are rotting in the fields and stores are fighting to import from europe.

i have noticed similar empty spaces in my mr t for a while. i go coupon shopping and fail to get anything. can't get andrex eco anywhere for example.
    Wins: 2008: £606.10 2009: £806.24 2010: £713.47 2011: 328.32
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Evie74 wrote: »
    .... Oh that's very true Possession! Clearly there aren't too many in my neck of the woods (although if I remember rightly you had the "torch experience" on the same day as me so I guess you aren't a million miles away!)

Evie xx

Yes I think we must be close! There don't appear to be any shortages here although I must admit I have been avoiding shops. DH has come home with everything on his little list though, and the big stock shop I did at Mr T had everything present and correct.
    This thread has definitely made me think and I am going to try to be more prepared for whatever life throws at me. I have added a head torch and wind up lanterns and radio to my Amazon wishlist so my family are going to be very confused come Christmas time!
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    raphanius wrote: »
    i can explain the lack of broccoli. thats down to the rain. crops are rotting in the fields and stores are fighting to import from europe.

i have noticed similar empty spaces in my mr t for a while. i go coupon shopping and fail to get anything. can't get andrex eco anywhere for example.

I know why it's happening. It's not only broccoli that is affected either, all crops will be affected which is going to push prices up even further :eek:

But does this not just show how fragile our food supply chain is and why it is a good idea to keep a store?
  • Popperwell
    Possession wrote: »
    Yes I think we must be close! There don't appear to be any shortages here although I must admit I have been avoiding shops. DH has come home with everything on his little list though, and the big stock shop I did at Mr T had everything present and correct.
    This thread has definitely made me think and I am going to try to be more prepared for whatever life throws at me. I have added a head torch and wind up lanterns and radio to my Amazon wishlist so my family are going to be very confused come Christmas time!

Well, I'll keep adding to the store, may have to get some crates, I did not want to but...and I suppose my immediate list of items is a backback/rugstack, shopping trolley, lighter, spare flints/butane gas, wind up lanterns and radio, another wind up torch and head torch, water puryfying tablets. Then perhaps I can stop for a while...

With what looks like is coming I think I need to have some spare cash...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • Possession
    Popperwell wrote: »
    Well, I'll keep adding to the store, may have to get some crates, I did not want to but...and I suppose my immediate list of items is a backback/rugstack, shopping trolley, lighter, spare flints/butane gas, wind up lanterns and radio, another wind up torch and head torch, water puryfying tablets. Then perhaps I can stop for a while...

With what looks like is coming I think I need to have some spare cash...

Yes there's a danger of spending so much on preparing for if the SHTF that you don't have the cash to sit tight through the S hitting TF.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It is called `being prepared` and is more relevant today in the IT age, than ever, with all the utilities, supermarkets, ordering systems and so on all based on computer technology, it would not take more than a group of determined hackers to disrupt the supply lines for energy, food, water and money

However there is a limit and crossing that line goes just too far and it becomes laughable. For example, getting a crossbow, just in case as on a uk preppers thread

Some people have been affected by the worry aspect and there is no need, just take it in your stride and make prepping part of your everyday life, get a bit extra from time to time and store it away.

I think a quick pick up bag is a good idea if you have attached neighbours, have gas or if you are in a flood zone. Our house is on its own and we are not in a flood zone and we have no gas so, in our case, I just have the document file in a drawer. The car is always backed up at the front on our space and the key is always handy but that is common sense

All that stuff re windup everything, well I have all that as I have been prepared for just about a lifetime. I have water filters that will make stream and butt water fit to drink, I have camping gear and gas, I have a cook on ozpig and fuel and I have cash in the house

Two winters ago we were suddenly stranded here in the village for six weeks and my stores did us proud, no power cuts but everything that could be charged was charged, kindles, ds`s, torches, radios and we had chocolate and wine so it was like an ethereal holiday
  • Possession
    This is the kind of thing it might help to be prepared for:
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/japan-floods-hundreds-thousands-evacuated-061538792.html
    Kyushu is my favourite part of Japan. :( At least people in Japan are likely to be better prepared than we are here as they live daily with the threat of earthquakes, tsunamis and regularly typhoons.
  • Popperwell
    I just came across the story on the internet and saw a video...sad and frightening. Japan has certainly been through it...perhaps that's why I am better to avoid the news. Funny it's hardly been mentioned on the radio, if at all...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure