Cheapest place to buy fresh fruit?

Where, in your opinion, is the cheapest place to buy your fruit?

Comments

• moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Lidl !..............
  • katskorner
    katskorner Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Yep I second that - Lidl - that is usually where I go. Sometimes the Aldi offers are good too but they only have 6 things on offer each fortnight.
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    :beer:
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    markets can be cheap..but quality isnt wonderful sometimes...i like aldi for the super 6....asda sometimes have offers
    onwards and upwards
  • shopndrop
    shopndrop Posts: 3,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How about a local greengrocer. I find them to be cheaper than most supermarkets.
  • the asian supermarket off north road in preston is very good value & lasts longer
    "what lies behind us & what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • alisong_2
    alisong_2 Posts: 234 Forumite
    another Aldi fan here...
    £2 savers club no.107 :j £36 so far.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Depends what I am after. Frozen normally works out cheaper for me as I tend to buy things like green beans but its not that way for all vegetables.

Apples, well at the moment I can get a bag from Sainsburys for 98p and it has about 6 apples in. It does rely on getting there at the same time they put them out though as they seem to get chucked about alot and bruised. I'd like to say my Greengrocers but I don't always find as good a quality and then when I do they sell out!- This is if I actually manage to get there when they are open. Same goes with Lidl and Aldi- they are shut so early I never get to visit (I shop after 10pm).

Berries and special fruit I tend to find I'd rather spend alot on something really sweet and delicious rather then getting more for my money. M&S, Tesco Finest, Sainsburys TTD cost more but IMO its worth the extra cost. I don't buy them very often.

Depends what your looking for and what your tastes are I think.
  • downshifter
    downshifter Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I think Aldi super6 offers have deteriorated over the past year or so, as their other prices have too, I find them just as expensive as other shops, and because there's less choice you can't select a cheaper option. Also they're generally pre-packed so you can't check the quality for for bruises etc. and I find they don't keep well.

Like others, I can't get to a greengrocer's or market, but do find that Morrison's are good, they have some apples called I think Jonagold, that are always masses cheaper per pound than others, also you can select each individual apple or tomato etc for yourself. They often have fruit and veg as whoopsies too, so good bargains.

My favourite shop though is Netto, I bought some fantastic whoopsies there last week - 2 huge red peppers for 10p for the 2, a big tray of tomatoes for 10p etc.

The problem is that there might be a good offer somewhere one week - like the lovely Lancashire celery for 40p in Sainsbury's last week, but then you go back this week and there's nothing much there.

I grow a lot myself, and at the moment have a total glut of strawberries and other stuff, but at other times need to buy in.

Shopping is such a pain isn't it!! good luck, I'll be watching this thread to see what others think.
    DS
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    i have grown my own salad leaves this year and they have been great...and tomatoes but they arent ripe yet soim still buying those
    onwards and upwards
  • gocat
    gocat Posts: 5,905 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Jonagolds are usually very cheap in most supermarkets. Sometimes they are named "basic" "smartprice" and other similar names.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure