Will the Bank or Post Office exchange my 1p and 2p coins??

I am having a big massive clearout (due to emigrating) and I have less than £10 in 1p and 2p coins.

If I take it to the Post Office or ANY bank will they exchange it into notes for me?

Comments

• i think they prefer you to pay them into an account... rather than just swap for cash... as long as everything is bagged up to correct weights.

ask you local shop for spare cash bags if you have none....
    I'm just a seething mass of contradictions....
    (it's part of my charm!)
  • i think p/o MAY change, but banks will almosts certainly require deposit into an a/c with them..

i trust they are all bagged up..?
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I believe they will only touch it if it is bagged up in the right quantities. Some banks have a limit on how many bags they will take.

Failing that, you could try spending it. Maybe not all in one go, unless you've got a self-service check-out at your local supermarket, but you could easily get away with 10p or 20p in coppers for each purchase you make.

Then there's the "coinstar" machines in supermarkets. I know they take a great big percentage to turn it in to cash, but does anyone know if they take any money from you if you get vouchers for the shop where it is in?

Or take it to your favourite charity shop as a donation. They will be able to bank it with no problem. Would be a nice note to leave the country on.

All the best with the move.
  • They are all bagged up and I have some spare bags also. I bank with citi and not too keen on making a trip all the way to Central London just to pay in a tenner.

I am hoping that I will be bale to pass it off to the NatWest bank 5 mins down the road from where I live :)

Or the Post Office.

Thanks for all the responses so far .

The folk in my local charity shop are the most miserable folk I have ever had the misfortune to come across - so they won't be getting ANYTHING :D
  • self service supermarket is a good idea, if you have the brass neck for it!!
    I'm just a seething mass of contradictions....
    (it's part of my charm!)
  • self service supermarket is a good idea, if you have the brass neck for it!!
    Thanks I shall look into that. Do they take a cut?
  • kazkaz
    kazkaz Posts: 36 Forumite
    A couple of my local supermarkets have coin changing machines. You just enter all your coins, doesn't matter if they are not sorted as the machine does that for you. Once all have been collected you get a voucher which you can exchange for either cash or shopping.
    I think they charge a small percentage to the pound.

We save all our loose change over the year and change it all at Christmas for a nice treat.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    xxdiddiexx wrote: »
    Thanks I shall look into that. Do they take a cut?
    There's two different things at play here.

There's the self-service checkout, where you scan your items yourself and then pay for them by inserting cash / card. They don't take a cut from these machines - in fact you are doing the shop a favour as you are reducing their staffing requirements.

Then there's the "coinstar" machines that I believe take a cut - certainly do if you change your coins for cash.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hi I woould just go and make some purchases at my local shop. I never have problems offering "scrap" as I call it. I think the banks charge businesses for change so they do appreciate it.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • Fill_7
    Fill_7 Posts: 480 Forumite
    id change it for you at my PO no problem.

all depends on which member of staff u get and if he/she is in a good mood. but if its only £10 worth, i cant see it being a problem.

hth
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport