Citroen C3 screen washer problems

Lelc
Lelc Posts: 558 Forumite
I really hope someone can answer this for me.

I've had no washers working since before Christmas. I think it's possibly the fuse that's blown however, try as I might, I cannot get the clip to undo on the fuse box. Does anyone know if there's a special tool for taking it off as I've tried just about everything to get into it. I'm really reluctant to take it into a garage just for a simple fuse replacement.

Many thanks in advance.

LC
Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts - DFW Nerd 323
Debt free date - January 2012
Mortgage free date - November 2013
Cross stitch cafe challenge member no 16

Comments

• Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    It may well be more than a fuse, how you can drive safely in January without any screen washers is beyond my comprehension.

Get them fixed before you have a serious accident.:rolleyes:
  • Lelc
    Inactive wrote: »
    It may well be more than a fuse, how you can drive safely in January without any screen washers is beyond my comprehension.

Get them fixed before you have a serious accident.:rolleyes:

Thanks for your help:rolleyes: Given the short distances I drive and the rain - it's not been a problem!!!!!!!!!! The nearest garage is 40 miles away so I would have to drive even further to have it repaired. I'd use my dh's car for that kind of journey.
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    there is water in the reservoir isnt there? :D
    ...work permit granted!
  • Do you hear the washer motor whirring? If so, lift the bonnet and check to see if there is a dribble of water from the washer heads on the bonnet. Frozen water can often pop the pipes off the washer heads.
  • Lelc
    Do you hear the washer motor whirring? If so, lift the bonnet and check to see if there is a dribble of water from the washer heads on the bonnet. Frozen water can often pop the pipes off the washer heads.

Many thanks for your help and sensible suggestion. No there was no sound from the motor.

Finally, with the help of a friend and after removing all sorts of bits and pieces and a few 'tools' we managed to get the top off and change the fuse. Voila! working washers!!
  • Lelc, what is the position of the fuse responsible for the screen washers? I have a similar problem and I think it has the same answer.

Help!
  • hi guys just reading this thread,i used to work for citroen and one of the reasons why the fuse blows is because the water freezes up in the bottle due to not enough screen wash mixed with water to stop it freezing which then stops the motor from turning which blows the fuse,make sure your screen wash is well topped up,also i noticed you said its a c3,theres a common problem on these where water leaks out of the water jet connection under the bonnet and drips onto the injector on the petrol engines and corrodes the end injector connection and stops it working,make sure the water pipe under the bonnet isnt leaking down onto the drivers side of the engine onto the injector,when they eventually go its £100 for a new injector,just a tip to make sure its not leaking;)
  • In my case, the fuse under the bonnet was the problem.
  • Apparently do not attempt to use the washers when they're likely to be frozen because the minute you do the fuse will blow. Difficult to know when they are ready to wash and of course if you forget and twist the lever for the back washer and it's already on then that's it blown it! Never known this on any previous cars but there you go. I'm on my second fuse since Christmas and the local (Luton, Beds) Citroen Service Centre will fit free of charge with the fuse costing £1.00. I would try and fit myself but it looks a bit complicated for a blonde! I'm going to put in a tad more washer wash than normal.
  • Quietmanc
    Quietmanc Posts: 313 Forumite
    Had the same thing with OH's C3.It just happens to be one of the most awkward fuses to get to.It's a 10A mini blade fuse BTW in case you want to stash a few spares.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure