Foil behind radiators?

Hi

Can anyone tell me if putting foil behind the radiators really does make a difference to the heating and costs?.....am seriously thinking of giving it a go this winter - when we eventually have to put the heating on that is!!

Comments

• Vindiesel
    Vindiesel Posts: 472 Forumite
    yeah I would be interested in that answer too..and so you selloptape it on, or does wall paper paste work?!

cheers
  • filo_2
    filo_2 Posts: 51 Forumite
    it will definitely save energy.

i think normal radiators give approx 30% radiative and 70% convective heat. half the radiator faces the wall so i guess there must be around 10-15% potential gain in efficiency to be had.
  • chez_2
    chez_2 Posts: 87 Forumite
    Do you find the value foil works, or should I go for Bacofoil 'Turkey' foil?
  • filo_2
    filo_2 Posts: 51 Forumite
    i would say turkey foil is best. then you might want to fill your loft with sage and onion stuffing for additional insulation.
  • :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    All the energy-saving advice reckons it works. Wrap it round pieces of cardboard cut to the right size to make it easier to fit. Otherwise, DIY shops sell rolls of foam with a reflective coating - I think my one cost about £8 from Wickes and did all my radiators with spare left over.
  • This question had quite a few replies when posed by Jolaaled

One estimate said that foil behind 6 radiator panels saves £8 annually
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    If you go to a builders merchant you can buy the foam backed foil made for the job. It is easier to paste to the wall than foil itself.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • brilliant!
    if a roll cost £8, and it'll save you about £8 p.a...it pays for itself in a year!

thanks all
  • chez_2
    chez_2 Posts: 87 Forumite
    Vindiesel wrote:
    brilliant!
    if a roll cost £8, and it'll save you about £8 p.a...it pays for itself in a year!

thanks all

And looks great as well! I think I'll go the extra step and decorate my entire house in foil. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure