Cheapest way to boil a pint of water?????

What is the cheapest way to boil a pint of water for a cup of tea or coffee? Gas or electric? ???

For no particular reason I recon gas is cheaper, but am I correct?

The cost of boiling water can't be far behind the cost of heating the house, running a fridge\freezer and lighting!!

Any thought???
A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

Comments

• MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What about the micro? I don't know which is cheaper but wouldn't mind finding out
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • student100
    student100 Posts: 1,059
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    My first thought would be an electric kettle, because almost all the energy goes into heating the water whereas if you heat water in a pan on the hob a lot of the energy goes into heating the pan and a lot of heat is lost in the process. But this is just a slightly educated guess :)

I know gas is a lot cheaper for domestic heating so I suppose it could be cheaper to heat water in a pan that way, it's hard to work it out though. Would have defintely thought an electric kettle is cheaper than using an electric hob though.

Heating water in the microwave can be dangerous, because the water can become superheated and give you nasty scalds. If you're feeling brave, you could work out which is cheaper, microwave or electric kettle, by timing how long the same amount of cold water takes to heat in the microwave and in the kettle, then multiply the time taken by the power (in watts) of your microwave/kettle and compare the results. The smallest number will be the most efficient.
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
  • mink35
    mink35 Posts: 6,068
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    OMG - my brain hurts at this time of night trying to make sense of that! Will have another read tomorrow when I'm more awake! :D
    Mink
  • mink35
    mink35 Posts: 6,068
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Oops - I didn't mean your post student100, just the link!
    Mink
    16011996 Posts: 8,313
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    i'm sure its kettles?
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Whatever way I boil it I try to save the rest of the water, leftover after making a cuppa, into a thermos ready for the next cuppa. Don't always remember though!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I do the thermos thing too ;D Hubby thinks I am bonkers but never mind....
    I use an old-fashioned kettle on the gas hob, doesn't take up valuable counter space that way ;)
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    i do thermos too, and if i boiling veg, i always boil water in kettle first, then pur over veg on hob.
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Knew I'd seen this somewhere else (HERE)

According to Crana9's teacher kettle is best.

I do the same as you 160, boil the kettle to put in the pan to go on the hob. But I do it because I'm impatient not cause it's cheaper, and it's normally aagghh I forgot to put the pasta on and now the sauce is ready hurry up and boil kettle :-[
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    yep thats me galtiz, i forget pasta (and rice) til last min all the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure