Hiring Things Out Ideas

Hiya

Whilst chatting with my partner tonight we stumbled onto the topic of making money and we came onto the idea of hiring things out. A good example (although its been in business for years) is a local company who hire out building and other such industrial equipment. They do all sorts from cement mixers to big gas barbeques.

Although they probably spend a bit on insurance and buying equipment i would imagine they still make a pretty decent profit.

It got me thinking about other things you could have. I thought about a games studio with games consoles etc (like an arcade i guess but no gambling and maybe a booking policy. But then I thought maybe with "the kids of today" (how old fashioned) I'd might struggle with it being a secure environment.

I just wondered if anyone else rents anything or has any good ideas about things you could rent. Photographic studio's was another one we thought of.
I've just started entering the competitions (July 07). When I win I'll update this signature. Look on the bright side, I shouldn't have to update it very often.

Comments

• I rent out my drive and those of neighbours when they are on holiday. To local businesses. The money isn't great but everyone is happy.
  • natc
    natc Posts: 593 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think its a great idea if you can find a good product to hire out....i have also thought of this, on a small scale though, like chocolate fountains, hire cars - weddingy stuff really! i know someone who used to hire out bouncy castles and one of those tall floaty figures blows air through it, cant remember what they are called but made a decent living from it, dont know if he still does it.
  • lawtz04
    lawtz04 Posts: 585 Forumite
    I guess its all to do with what you can afford to shell out initially, then upkeep of whatever it is your hiring out. Not sure if you'd need insurance for the bouncy castle but thats not a bad idea really!

Anyone else any thoughts?
    I've just started entering the competitions (July 07). When I win I'll update this signature. Look on the bright side, I shouldn't have to update it very often.
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    how about your own carpet cleaner? Let them have it for say a week. You would have bought it anyway for your own home.:confused:
    :footie:
  • What about Van with a Man/Woman/Drive it yourself etc? I have been looking for one for weeks and all I could find were websites offering all day/weekly rental from £60.00:eek: Only wanted it locally for an hour or so!
    DEBT JUNE 2008 - £17,807.53:eek:
    DEBT SEPTEMBER 2008 - £16,325.70
    WINS: £150 THEATRE TOKENS, £100 CASH, MAMMA MIA SOUNDTRACK, RIZZLA WALLET, TREK BAR, BOTTLE OPENER, KEY RING :T
  • lawtz04
    lawtz04 Posts: 585 Forumite
    Im not sure what sort of service you mean Lady. You mean just someone who needs a van for a few hours?

I've thought about games consoles - cant remember if i put this in my previous message (can see it when your replying can ya!)
  • Hi

Just reading about the hiring out things. It's a new concept that people or hiring out their unused things. Parking spaces, driveways, garages even a bedroom is up for hire. Nowadays we all need a little extra and you may have something in the shed that could be hired out, it's an endless list. A new site mythings4hire do just this and provide a space for you to advertise your things :Tyou want to hire out. They have an offer on at the moment 6 MONTHS FREE. It's a new idea and a good one.
  • mitch161
    mitch161 Posts: 271 Forumite
    lawtz it appears to me you are looking more for idea's of renting out building space with your idea's of photo studio, arcades etc.

with business rates / mortgages or leasing costs eating into your monthly income along with insurance etc this would only be viable if you had a business that wanted to move in long term. great once they moved in you just receive the rent from them without any work. Well in reality this is not the case. maintenance and other factors occur more often then lets say buy-to-let housing.

in a buy to let house if a bulb blows most occupents would buy their own. if a florescent bulb blew in a business premises they'd be phoning you up for a electrician to come around and also some businesses may claim loss of income due to building work. which is where some businesses that rent out space are always popping in to do maintenance checks.

if renting space is a plan (if thats the path you are looking for) then buy to let can be less hassle and more guranteed income as there are lots of people looking for homes as apose to businesses looking to rent premises at hgher costs the standard leasing.

think about it. to cover all your costs and make a profit you would be looking to charge a rent higher then bills. not many companies would want to do this as its not financially beneficial. and their costs of painting the walls white for a photo studio or installing extra electrical sockets to plug in the 2 dozon XBOX and LCD screens would not be financially viable if the business would only rent for a month.

businesses wanting long term leases want property in high visable places where natural footfall is high to reduce their advertising costs. and most properties in highstreets and side streets of town centres are already owned by councils. so unless you already have a prime spot building already paid for in full and your willing to keep an eye on it then business leasing is not a plan..

personally using the space IE you being the manager of a arcade is more profitable, but still not as viable because most kids these days have internet connected to their xbox's at home.. possibly if you wanted to open a arcade style thing. it would have to be treated as a "tournament" event thing. but still risky customer wise.

renting/hiring equipment is more profitable. but if you want to stick to property renting. look more into domestic lettings more then business letting.
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    eZonomics wrote: »

One of our polls on ezonomics.com

Spammer, go away.
  • Spammer, go away.

Apologies - it was not an attempt to spam, simply thought a bit of research on this topic might be of interest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure