JSA Driving lesson or course discounts

2»

Comments

• marchand wrote: »
    But i have to have very expensive dental treatment which will put me in a lot of debt if i had to pay for it, so i was advised to sign on - which ill do for a short period. I just think it would be constructive for JSA to offer young people who sign on benefits such as driving discounts in exchange for additional courses etc. Just to give them something to do during the day and to make them feel posistive about finding employment.

Appreciate your words of wisdom

why should the taxpayer have to pay for your expensive dental treatment? I don't get it :confused:
    whoever advised you to do that is a total sponger
    i have always had to pay for my dental treatment, albeit in instalments but it came out of my own pocket and it makes me sick to think that i'm working from 8am to 6pm for the past 25 years just to pay dental treatment for people 'who don't wantto be in debt' and to offer them free or reduced driving lessons just so that they can feel positive???
    that's nuts,total and utter nuts.
    why should I work my butt off to save lazy dolescrounging spongers some money when they already drain my taxes as it is.
    my one pet hate is benefit scroungers - those who DON'T deserve it. Particuolarly those who 'pretend' that they are either
    a) depressed
    b) disabled
    c) dependant on others to get through each day

my sister falls into all 3 categories but is a nightmare trying to get any money out of hte government. The fact that you are even thinking about what freebies you CAN get and totally focusing on how to get that and not struggling to get through the day tellsme loads. Get off your lazy butt and get a job!:p
    Time is the best teacher
    Shame it kills all the students
    :p
    *******************************************************************************************
  • Oh god oh god - what a day...............
    Think I'll hanger left of the B Board for a while it is too depressing for words. M
  • viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    Conor wrote: »
    And now Marchand draws out his shotgun, points it at his foot, pulls the trigger and...
    BOTH BARRELS.

I thought you weren't a free loader? I wonder how the DSS would view you claiming in light of this revelation?

Proof, if any were needed, that graduates are getting thicker by the year...

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :beer:

Brilliant.
  • briona
    briona Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    marchand wrote: »
    Hi, I am new to signing on for Job Seekers Allowance, and i think 45 pounds per week is a terrible amount to offer someone to live on. I live with a relative so i cant have my rent paid for.

But my main question is, can people claiming job seekers get discounts on driving lessons? Id like to learn to drive to increase the chances of jobs in my field. But the average lesson is half my weekly income

Driving may make your life easier but it's by no means essential and benefits are not there to provide you with every luxury going. Why should the state fund your desire to learn to drive? It took me FOUR years to pass a test (and I don't even want to add up how much money I spent!) – should the state really be expected to fund someone for that long? NO! Harsh as it may seem, if you want driving lessons, get a job.

As for the "terrible amount" you have to live on per week, if JSA were more generous, it wouldn't exactly incentivise people to find work... :rolleyes:
    If I don't respond to your posts, it's probably because you're on my 'Ignore' list.
  • LondonDiva
    LondonDiva Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    marchand wrote: »
    . But i have to have very expensive dental treatment which will put me in a lot of debt if i had to pay for it, so i was advised to sign on - which ill do for a short period.
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:You are joking right:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

The max NHS fee for treatment is about £198 and change. Get a temping job or work for one of the supermarkets and shops looking for staff over the christmas period and you'll have saved up in a couple of weeks.
    "This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."
  • Jobcentre won't pay for driving lessons under any circumstances so don't even bother......I work in one & the amount of times we get asked is unbelieveable!

Driving Instructors have to make a living so doubt if they'd give a reduction

JSA is only meant to be a stop gap between employment not a way to fund your dental work

Could say typical student but sure everybody feels the same way about you!
  • Whatever happened to having a bit of pride and self-respect and the feeling of accomplishment at being able to afford to pay for things yourself? It is one of the joys of working!! And in these dark times any money left in the government pot could be better spent elsewhere- not driving lessons and your mush!
    Hanny:easter_ba
  • WOW! You lot are what's wrong with this contry. Now the people are so opiniated about the benefits system. I wondered who that advert showing people ringing up about there nieghbour's fiddlin the system. Don't u realise we pay so much when working so that when we need it the safety net is their. We pay for it to so who gave you the monopoly on how our money's spent, as far as i'm aware thats for the quangos to decide, nothing to do with public opinion. Don't believe me check out a hospital and ask a doctor or nurse if they think they have what they need, or our armed forces, do they have all the equipment they need. This country's people needs support for the real things, not the herd buying up the advertising hype of the social security system which fails to pay out, just like the insurance companies once you need to claim. Why view people who actually use the benefits system we all pay for as somehow owing something to everyone, its ours, that is eveyone. And these days it may well be you thats using tht system, through no fault of your own, then ur the same ;)
  • viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    pligyy69 wrote: »
    WOW! You lot are what's wrong with this contry. Now the people are so opiniated about the benefits system. I wondered who that advert showing people ringing up about there nieghbour's fiddlin the system. Don't u realise we pay so much when working so that when we need it the safety net is their. We pay for it to so who gave you the monopoly on how our money's spent, as far as i'm aware thats for the quangos to decide, nothing to do with public opinion. Don't believe me check out a hospital and ask a doctor or nurse if they think they have what they need, or our armed forces, do they have all the equipment they need. This country's people needs support for the real things, not the herd buying up the advertising hype of the social security system which fails to pay out, just like the insurance companies once you need to claim. Why view people who actually use the benefits system we all pay for as somehow owing something to everyone, its ours, that is eveyone. And these days it may well be you thats using tht system, through no fault of your own, then ur the same ;)

Wake me up when you get to the point of your illiterate rant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure