Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Donating Toiletries/Cosmetics to Charity?

MissMuppet
MissMuppet Posts: 1,106 Forumite
I went to Gambia back in 2000 and there was a scheme mentioned out there at the time which meant you could send your half used toiletries/cosmetics you don't use anymore to them... I have searched the Internet for something like this but can't find anything, does anyone know of a charity/organisation that does this?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No, and although our charity can make use of unwanted toiletries and cosmetics we can't use ones which have been opened because of the potential risk of infection. I'm not saying no-one can use them, but I'd say their usefulness might be limited.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I travel a fair amount around the UK and i was asked if i could save the hotel toiletries and hand them in to a womans refuge. the nature of the organisation means women often turn up at odd hours with only the cloths on their back and nothing else. If you know of something similar they would be grateful for them, the only potential problem is the locations tend not to be broadcast so you may have to make arrangements through a third party to donate them.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • MissMuppet
    Thanks for that, I thought that might be the case... I have put them all on Freecycle and someone is taking the lot of my hands tomorrow, just thought I would check about charities really. :)
  • Ianna
    Ianna Posts: 581 Forumite
    If you contact Refuge on one of the donation contacts listed here they can tell you how you could donate any unwanted bits and bobs to your local refuge. Some you can visit but others are secret so you might be put in contact with a local office who would pass them on for you.

It's a great idea, these small things can really make a difference :)
  • I'm part of a charity called Sikhcess. We're going to be doing a nationwide campaign soon (14th June) and it's geared towards providing the homeless with toiletries. I'm not sure about half used but anything decent would be more than welcomed.

Homeless shelters in general may benefit from your contribution. Especially in places such as London.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,012 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I already do this and give them to a local place which provides food and support to homeless people. Got my work colleagues saving their hotel toiletries too. Works well.
  • MissMuppet
    I'll remember this for next time... I buy stuff all the time, use it once and then never use it again, such a waste!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure