New! Student Finance Calculator 2012

Hi folks,

After a lot of work, we've built and now launched a calculator to help prospective new students in September 2012 work out the true cost of the borrowing they'll take out to go to uni.

We'd love your feedback on this - we are looking at adding a few more features once it has bedded in and more info is available from the Govt. Click this to give it a try...

Then click reply below to join the discussion.

Dan
Former MSE team member

Comments

• GeneHunt_2
    GeneHunt_2 Posts: 286 Forumite
    Imho that's Brilliant :T (at first glance anyway) I'm off to play with it.
  • GeneHunt_2
    Had a "play" - yup that's brilliant :T:T:T:T
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 23 August 2011 at 7:37PM
    Fantastic Loan Calculator. A great tool for any student (and their parents :dance:).

A Big Thank You MSE!

:beer:
  • Hi all,

If you are testing the tool, could you help us with a little bug test please. Do any users of Internet Explorer not see the black speedometer that appears at the top of the results column, once you have slid a few inputs?

If yes, if you can let us know the version of internet explorer that you are in, and any details, that would be brilliant

Thanks

Dan
    Former MSE team member
  • Hi - Yes it is fab!

I can see the speedometer fine - I'm on IE 7 (I know you asked if we cannot see!)

I like the added touch of the "after 30 yrs debt wipes" reminder.
  • I can see the speedo on FF,

Great tool, I've just deferred my course untill next year to go onto the 4 degree progamme and am off to college in sept for the first time instead of doing a 5 year foundation degree as the new structure will work out better for me! Especially with the kids, as I am likely to continue with my setting up my own company I am able to set my own wages in the future :)
  • luciandan
    luciandan Posts: 16 Forumite
    It's a fun tool, and maybe good for mature students, but the idea that you can have the faintest notion what your salary growth will be when you're 18 and haven't even started in the graduate job market is a bit far fetched.
  • GeneHunt_2
    Sorry Dan I use FF too so can't help you with the IE thingy.
  • GeneHunt_2
    luciandan wrote: »
    It's a fun tool, and maybe good for mature students, but the idea that you can have the faintest notion what your salary growth will be when you're 18 and haven't even started in the graduate job market is a bit far fetched.

Do you think? Some students know they want to be Doctors, Dentists, Lawyers, accountants, bankers, engineers, etc?

Anyway, even if they don't, at least the calculator helps fully inform them of the effect of higher earnings on student loan repayments, don't you think?
  • At last...a calculator giving students and their parents a realistic idea of the amount of debt they will have to take on.
    While the government do not want anyone to be put off applying to university,they have effectively decimated the careers profession,so there are few or no impartial advisers to give this kind of vitally important advice and guidance in schools or colleges.
    I would feel ethically challenged in this financial climate to be advising anyone about student loans and am glad I no longer work in this area ( having been unfairly dismissed...that's without redundancy pay from the contract provder).
    Well done Martin's team for making this clear...of course this does not apply to the increasing number of overseas students who are able to pay the top rate of fee and are competing with our own, home grown talent,for a limited number of places.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure