tax on laundry

Comments

• gtone28
    gtone28 Posts: 134 Forumite
    This is on the back of one of my reply's

Year.......Claim (£) ..... Rate ... repay(£)..interest (£)...........Total(£)
    01/2........ 40............X22%.......8.80.......0.88....................9.68
    02/3.........40............X22%...... 8.80...... 0.71....................9.51
    03/4.........40............X22%.......8.80.......0.49....................9.29
    04/5........ 45............X22%.......9.90.......0.30...................10.20
    05/6........ 45............X22%.......9.90.......0.05....................9.95
    total repayments............................................................48.63
    Adjustments/Increase in code =...48.63 X 100/22..............=.221

My tax code has gone from 503L to 530L

HM revenue has agreed with the union that £45 is the amount you are likely to have to pay out for doing this job. (you do not have to be a member of a union to get this).

Are the amounts on the right, the amount of tax that are to pay for the allowance?
    so £40 - 9.68 and left with £31?
  • You won't pay tax on the £48.63, that is your total rebate for the previous 6 years. You are just basically not going to pay tax on an additional £221 of your earnings this year above the personal allowance, reducing your tax bill by £48.63 2007/08.
  • hi there

i was just wondering, when you get paid out do you get a cheque or do they just subtract it from the tax you pay the next month or something similar

thanks

Mark
  • gtone28
    gtone28 Posts: 134 Forumite
    I paid less tax for a week, but some of my work friends recieved cheques. One actually found out he had'nt paid enough tax for the last 2yrs and ended up oweing them money.

I got all excited thinking i was getting £200 back in one lump sum but the tax office give me relief back on £45 for one week then reduced my tax by about £3 a week.

it's worth £9 a year
  • nets_2
    nets_2 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Thanks for this thread! I have just claimed for husbands tax laundry relief and have just received a cheque for £163, well worth the 5 minutes wirk involved in writing and sending off the letter!
  • Thanks - I've used the template and sent it off! Fingers crossed and let's see what happens!
  • so where do i find out the tax office address?
  • TotallyBroke
    TotallyBroke Posts: 1,540
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My OH has now left his uniform wearing job.

We are at the moment writing a cover note to the Tax Office to claim a rebate back from last year. I'm going to also add the laundering letter to it in a hope we/he gets that bit extra.

Do you think it is possible or do you have to still be working with the company to get it.

Thanks
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    @heather - your employer will give you the address of your tax office.
    @ TotallyBroke - you can claim back up to 6 years (assuming he was entitled to the relief), you don't have to still be employed there.
    You have the right to ask for a refund for past eyars - you don't have to accept an allowance in this years' code number for past years - especially as the lower rate of tax is 20% this year and was 22% in past years.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • Also there is no way that you will get anything for your shoes. The only profession that have any allowance for this is nurses, HCAs etc who get tax relief on £18.00 per year for footwear, along with £70.00 for uniform, which works out at a rebate of £19.36 for the average nurse.

I am a care assistant and reqired to buy my own work clothes and shoes etc...am i entitled to tax relief on these and anything else, laundry, etc. If so, which for do i need. Thanks. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure