Internet security

Greetings all. I hope that I have posted this in the right place.

My internet security will need renewing in 8 days. I was wondering what internet security suit is the best value for money. I want something that comes with antivirus, firewall and spam filter.

Any help is much appreciated. :j

Comments

• bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    I use Avast free. If you're using Windows 7 then you don't really need a separate firewall - the one in Windows works fine. Can't advise re. SPAM filter as I've never used one (other than what's automatically available via my web hosting email account and my Gmail account).
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The 'best value' one are the free ones obviously: Avast, Avira, or MSE.
    Kaspersky is also free if you have Barclays online banking.
    Your spam filter should already be provided by your ISP or email software.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    BitDefender I/S 89%

Norton I/S 87%

AVG I/S 76%

Kaspersky I/S 75%

G Data I/S 73%

MS Security Essentials (FREE) 72%

AVG A/V (FREE) 70%

Mcafee I/S 70%

Panda I/S 70%

Trend Micro Titanium I/S 69%

F-Secure I/S 67%

Avira A/V personal (FREE) 61%

From Which tests
  • birkee
    birkee Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    Personally, I've used Kasperski Internet Security for years, and it's never let me down.
    What makes it a good choice, is that you can often get it for half price after it's been out awhile (of course, it's updated when installed.) but you can get it in a 3 PC package. That means you and two family members can go one third each on the half price bargain. (Around £20 - £25)

Watch out for Norton, because it's 3 PC's, but in ONE household, not to be shared with relatives elsewhere.
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    birkee wrote: »
    Personally, I've used Kasperski Internet Security for years, and it's never let me down.
    What makes it a good choice, is that you can often get it for half price after it's been out awhile (of course, it's updated when installed.) but you can get it in a 3 PC package. That means you and two family members can go one third each on the half price bargain. (Around £20 - £25)

Watch out for Norton, because it's 3 PC's, but in ONE household, not to be shared with relatives elsewhere.

I've used Kaspersky a couple of times discounted via co-op with no troubles. It can be a bit too detailed and reports confusing.

I use AVG now as I got a 3yr license included free with a new laptop. No trouble with it.

I could get McAfee free with O2 if I want.
  • andythecal
    andythecal Posts: 20 Forumite
    I have three PCs on the Internet constantly and I've found no problem with using Microsoft Security Essentials.

For spam protection I use Gmail which is setup to use my own domain (yes, it's possible and it's easy and free) and so I never see spam - Google stops it in its tracks.
  • I found bullguard internet security for under £10 online. Has anyone used it before. I don't know if it is any good.
  • stilltheone
    stilltheone Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    juice0105 wrote: »
    I found bullguard internet security for under £10 online. Has anyone used it before. I don't know if it is any good.

You can purchase KIS 2010 here for £10.68 and use the activation code for the new KIS 2012.
  • birkee
    birkee Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    I_luv_cats wrote: »
    I've used Kaspersky a couple of times discounted via co-op with no troubles. It can be a bit too detailed and reports confusing.

I use AVG now as I got a 3yr license included free with a new laptop. No trouble with it.

I could get McAfee free with O2 if I want.

That's one of the benefits of letting Kasperski do it's own thing.
    I've two relatives I've installed it for, and they know zilch about computers. They just don't read the reports.

I love the virtual keyboard in it too. No 'keylogger' risks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure