Unclaimed paypal payments... what to do?

2»

Comments

• Avoriaz wrote:
    Hi funkyfunkymonkey, we can only speak from our own personal experiences.;)

How did you try and cancel the payment?

I opened up my Paypal account, selected “View account History” and that brought up a screen with all my recent transactions.

Under the Status column they all showed “Completed” except for one which from memory showed “Unclaimed”.

I clicked on “Unclaimed” or whatever it was and then had the option to cancel, which I did.

Maybe you tried to cancel it from the ebay sales confirmation page.

I am speaking from memory (quite a while ago), but I did the steps you mentioned above but there was no 'live' button for 'unclaimed' - I clicked on it but it did not 'do' anything. I checked and double checked all of the instructions at the time and I was doing what they said - it just did not work for me - ho hum - just relieved it was for such a puny amount :)

I just hope I don't get the problem for a larger amount.

FFM :)
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • soolin wrote:
    .... Therefore if the payment has gone to an email address on paypal where there is an associated paypal account it cannot be called back. It will just bounce back on day 30 if unclaimed...

Soo

thank you - that's it, she said she had set up an account and could no longer access it - so that is why I could not cancel it.

AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Soo

thank you - that's it, she said she had set up an account and could no longer access it - so that is why I could not cancel it.

Exactly what happened to me...darned nuisance it was too.

make sure you do not repay until original payment bounces back, as if the seller does get access to the paypal account at any time before payment bounces back they can accept your original payment as well.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin wrote:
    Exactly what happened to me...darned nuisance it was too.

make sure you do not repay until original payment bounces back, as if the seller does get access to the paypal account at any time before payment bounces back they can accept your original payment as well.

Soo

Good advice, but my purchase was only £3 ish for a PS2 game for the kids, couldn't make them wait 30 days and she gave loads of promises that she really really really could not access the money.

It all had a happy ending, when the money bounced back :j

• Leanne200
    Leanne200 Posts: 1,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi guys, thanks its interesting to read everyones advice so thanks!

I am however clear that I can cancel the payment if neccessary, and that the payment will be returned after a month, which is no problem.

Only my real worry was the implications of cancelling the payment myself early... (thanks Smartie as I did not know about the 7 day rule at all, and I have been ebaying for years!!)

Just to update, I paid on 15th, have sent 2 e-mails and no replies... its just so frustrating when I have a birthday coming up and it is a pressie. I was considering cancelling the payment and buying another, as it is the only money I really have to buy it with since being made redundant just before xmas thats all! Things are a bit tight lol :o
  • Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite
    Frustrating though it is, I would wait another day or two, especially as it is a newbie seller.

Not everyone sits on their PC and answers emails instantly.

Good luck.;)
  • marty1888
    marty1888 Posts: 469 Forumite
    I had a problem like this before Xmas.

I mistyped the email address for my paypal account so the payments showed as unclaimed to the buyers as it had gone to the wrong address.
  • Leanne200
    Leanne200 Posts: 1,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    marty1888 wrote:
    I had a problem like this before Xmas.

I mistyped the email address for my paypal account so the payments showed as unclaimed to the buyers as it had gone to the wrong address.

I got an e-mail from Paypal today advising me that the payment was unclaimed, and said exactly that.

However, I have emailed her to say that the payment is unclaimed so ball is in her court, she will have to check her e-mail spelling.

Its frustrating nevertheless!! lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport