Are Ugg boots still fashionable?

Comments

• scooby088
    scooby088 Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    Beware though there are alot of scammers selling them on facebook and other sites, best bet is to buy them from a shop in the high street.
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    If she loves Uggs, wears Uggs and wants Uggs, then whats wrong in buying her another pair? Check with your son first that she still has the whole "love them more than anything" thing going on though.

I love Radley handbags - Mum got me one last year and is getting me another this year. I love them, use them and want them - plus getting new seasons versions that I don't have to fork out for myself is a bonus!
  • sock-knitter
    sock-knitter Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    i'm 40 and love my ugg boots, i have very bad circulation, and have freezin cold feet, and these are so lovely warm, and comfortable
    i have 3 pairs in different colours
    also love radley handbags, and a girl can never have too many of them
    loves to knit and crochet for others
  • You're DIL is so right, you can NEVER have too many Uggs :T

The Triple Button Bailey Uggs are very 'in' at the mo. They are probably the most pricey but they are gorgeous and so so comfortable. IMO definitely worth the money

Can you be my MIL please?? :p
  • Came back on here to see what other people's thoughts were. I find brands like Ugg interesting. It seems that the people who really want to wear them, can't afford to buy them.

I've just turned 40, none of my friends wear them. My 11 year old daughter wanted some until she tried them on this week and decided that whilst comfy, they felt like boats on her feet (which are skinny) and looked ugly. Obviously I was a tad relieved, since they're £140. Everyone I know (in real life) who really loves them are teenagers, who can't afford them, so wear fakes. Most of the people I see wearing them, are in their 30's, because they can afford them. I find that quite interesting. I don't understand why they are so expensive; they certainly don't look expensive or any better made (although the wool inside is softer) than other brands, such as Rocket Dog, Ewe, Sketchers etc.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 26 October 2011 at 10:01AM
    I thought the whole point with uggs, is that you have a brand name and you can go "look I've got Uggs!"

Not that I understand that whole name/brand thing, but I know alot of people do.

I'm a bit odd, I believe they're actually very warm and comfortable but I wouldn't ever wear them because I don't want people to think I've bought into the name!

However, if they were just a pair of good quality warm, long lasting boots at a reasonable price that weren't instantly recognisable as 'Ugg' then I'd be more tempted!

The original style did look like you were wearing your slippers around town though, and they looked horrible with tidemarks on them from walking round in winter.

EDIT, I've just been on the website and seen the prices, think I'll stick to Millets!
  • Threebabes
    Threebabes Posts: 1,271
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What a lovely MIL you are. I don't wear uggs but my two girls have them 7 and 11, they look lovely. I do think 2 pairs is enough and someone mentioned jo malone gift set, etc I would maybe go for something different this year.
  • lady1964
    lady1964 Posts: 955
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I'm 47 & DH bought me my Uggs 2 years ago for Xmas and they're great, I've got the Kensington 'biker' ones, which were expensive at £250 but I too suffer from cold feet and they keep my feet so toasty warm.
    I saw a really lovely pair of Uggs in Office at Westfield a couple of weeks ago, they aren't the traditional suede ones, more like hard leather that would look great with jeans, I think they were about £180, very tempted to buy a pair, perhaps another Xmas present!
    Ugg also do some lovely slippers, around £70-£90 a pair if she likes slippers or what about gloves or a bag?
    I'd go to an Ugg shop and look at their selection.
    I don't know where you live but Bicester Village has an Ugg shop and you'd be looking at upwards of 30% off...
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Person_one wrote: »
    I'm a bit odd, I believe they're actually very warm and comfortable but I wouldn't ever wear them because I don't want people to think I've bought into the name!

However, if they were just a pair of good quality warm, long lasting boots at a reasonable price that weren't instantly recognisable as 'Ugg' then I'd be more tempted!

I don't think you are odd at all, I believe there are Ugg boots and there are "Ugg" boots.

The classical Ugg boots became chav statement when milion teenagers bought cheap copies and wear it under any circumstances with anything just to make a "statement" - "I have Ugg boots so I have style" (while they don't).

However I believe that the real boots are of good quality and really keep your feet warm, I would buy a pair too if everyone looking at them wouldn't be thinking "another chav".

OP - if she really really loves them then you can never have enough pairs of shoes. Obviously not exactly the same ones. I have 10 pairs of evening shoes and no one ever told me that I can do with 1 pair.

But you need to be sure she is still into them. Also the idea of a bag to go with her boots is really nice!!
  • Personally I don't like them so I have never really understood the whole UGG thing. I see lots of people wearing them still.

If she likes them and wants a new pair of them, then it's an easy present and it's one less to think of what to get. But it might be nice as you have got her these already for the last couple of years presents to get her something a bit different - otherwise it will be predictable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure