80s fancy dress ideas

I've arranged my bf's 30th party around an 80s theme - but I really don't know who to go as - I've ruled out dynasty / dallas - I won't be comfortable. I was thinking of cyndi lauper or something like that but being size 22 I'm a little wary - can anyone suggest anyone else?
2019 Wins: Feb: £10 Aldi Voucher, Frankie & Benny's meal for 2; May: Game from Maynards. June: 2x tickets to Foodies Festival July: £100 September: £30; October: £1000, Goldfinch Merch Pack

Thanks those who post Comps

Comments

• Oscar
    Oscar Posts: 922 Forumite
    Was the beginning of the eighties not Adam Ant and Spadau Ballet? Frilly shirts and the cropped trousers that were baggy then tight round the bottoms(Sh** catchers). I think 'Mods' and 'Ska' (Madness) music was eighties as well so what about a mod. Wear black and white, alice band,flat shoes, parka jacket.
    :j
  • why not do a madonna?

loads of bangles, loads of beads around your neck, shortish skirt with leggings, fingerless gloves, scruffy hair with bits of ribbon tied in it? crimped hair with ribbon. pumps. leather????

not sure if that's any use sorry hun.

xxxx
    2008 Wins: 2 x VIP tickets to Ministry Of Sound, Umbrella, Tea Towel, £50 Tesco Gift Card, Amplifier (worth over £1,100 alone).

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You" (Dr Seuss)
  • ChelseaGirl
    ChelseaGirl Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ooh, i shall have to come onto this thread for a bit of inspiration. We're planning on having an 80's style New Years Eve party, and i couldn't remember what i was wearing in the 80's!
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    There should be some inspiration on here :)http://www.liketotally80s.com/
  • mjburton
    mjburton Posts: 147 Forumite
    I went to a fancy dress party as 'child of the eighties'. Found a Fame t-shirt in a sale, pair of leggings and leg warmers at the market at a ra-ra skirt at Asda. Cost about £15 in total I think.

It was an effective costume - I saw a photo of me and a couple of friends and I looked about 12. It made me quite happy!
  • pennyocs
    pennyocs Posts: 239 Forumite
    alison moyet
    when your life is a mess light one more cigarette its so logical!!

get up and dance,get up and smile,get up and drink to the days that are gone in the shortest while :T
    There's no profit in peace boys we better fight some more:(
  • abbecer
    abbecer Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    Boy George is quite easy to do. Weave ribbons through your hair if its long, trilby style hat loads of eye makeup and long black coat.

Rebecca x
  • Primark (Oxford Street Branch, but maybe others too) have some quite 80s looking dresses atm for about 12 pounds. They're satin with netting underneath and they puff out from just under the bust.
  • We went to an 80's theme a few weeks ago, it was a real laugh. My partner went in this 80's Ra-Ra Dress and I went as a Scouser "calm down, calm down" (from the old Harry Enfield TV show!) with just this Scouser wig & tash and an old shell suit from a charity shop.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure