Dvd authoring failed, please check the video files and available free space

Options
hi can any1 help, im trying to burn some dvds to another disk and keep getting this.

DVD AUTHORING FAILED, PLEASE CHECK THE VIDEO FILES AND AVAILABLE FREE SPACE

cheers
:beer:

Comments

• KillerWatt
    KillerWatt Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Options
    Might help if you tell us a little more, such as your OS, filing system type, software you are using, and just how you are trying to copy one DVD to another.
    Remember kids, it's the volts that jolt and the mills that kill.
  • robredz
    robredz Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    edited 13 June 2010 at 9:24AM
    Options
    Are you trying to copy a dual layer DVD to a single layer disk directly?
    Are the files ripped to a PC/Mac hard drive?
    If you are then the quart won't fit into the pint pot. You would have to use a utility like DVDShrink, to compress the files to fit, losing some quality into the bargain, but not as much as you would expect. Altenatively you could reprocess them to mpeg4 using the XVid or DiVX codecs, then burn them to a disk, if your DVD player supports DiVX.

As KillerWatt says, what OS, and filesystem, are you using?, as further advice will depend on this info
  • antbann
    antbann Posts: 163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    right thanks, i bought firman sam on the net and playing them on my ps3 il try that thanks.
  • antinthematrix
    Options
    Hi i am having the same problem, but i think a little different.
    I am trying to burn an avi file which is 702MB onto a DVDR which is 4.7Gb so its not a space issue but i keep getting the same error. The disk is blank and not previously tried to burn onto i have tried twice with 2 different disks.

Im running windows 7 using Express Burn Disc Burning Software that came preloaded onto my computer. I have used the program to put in chapters and a menu but i cant c how that would affect it.

Any help you can give would be brilliant thank you.
  • Dave_C_2
    Dave_C_2 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    edited 8 May 2012 at 9:15PM
    Options
    Looking on the intertubes a couple of people have reported this as a problem with Express Burn. perhaps downloading and using Imgburn may solve your problems. It's free and recommended by others on this site.

Although you have only a small AVI file, it sounds like you are trying to author a DVD. This means that the software has to convert it into VOB files etc. that the DVD player can read. This can make the output files huge.

Finally ensure that you have set the DVD type Single layer/DVD-5, not Dual layer/DVD-9

Also you do need a lot of spare room on your hard disk for the program to store temporary files. Ccleaner does a good job at cleaning unused space also free for personal use. About 10GB should be more than enough.

Dave
    HTH, Dave
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family