Teeth question, old fillings fine but teeth breaking away from them, what to do?

2»

Comments

• BlondeHeadOn
    BlondeHeadOn Posts: 2,267 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I posted a reply at the weekend to say many thanks to all of you who replied - but it seems to have disappeared! So here's another post to say thanks you to all.

:T :T :T

I am reassured to know that what I am experiencing is not unusual - thank you, Toothsmith!

:T :T :T
  • If you are still around on this site...I wouldn't mind findign out if you got your problem with breakign teeth sorted?
    I am 30 and have just had a 4th tooth break!!! I freaked when the first two broke in half...went to dentist tried to stop smoking...was told it wasn't smoking doing it...just old fillings putting pressure on the tooth and its bound to happen.
    Well now I'm wondering am I bound to just loose every tooth that has a filling, (of which there are many...I don't think as a child my parents halted the intake of vast amounts of sweets!!! good then bad now!) But I too have looked after my teeth since I was an adult (bar the smoking of course!)

So is it smoking?
    Is it just inevitable I'm gonna loose half a tooth here and there because of old big silver fillings?
    Can I get new white fillings instead? My dentist just replaced the old fillings with new.

It's a bit like a scary nightmare having teeth break so frequently!!!

Any help will be so welcome! I'm a tad freaked at how much this will cost me! I think I need a better dentist...
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    If you smoke, it's all a bit pointless anyway.

Doesn't matter if that's the cause of the teeth breaking or not. However they're fixed, you'll probably lose them anyway.

White fillings stain quite quickly as well, so it's best to think of them as nicotene brown fillings - as that's what they'l look like for most of the time they're in your mouth.

If you give up the fags, you'll easily be able to afford whatever you want to fix your teeth. And it may then have a chance of lasting a decent amount of time as well.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Well that is me told! That's it! I'm quitting! The thought of not having teeth is too much to bear!
    I stopped smokign for 11 months 2 years ago because a bit of tooth fell out when i was eating TOAST! But my nicotine addiction was delighted to hear my dentist say it's not smoking thats causing your teeth to crack...say no more...I was delighted to have a get out of stopping smoking free card!
    But all said and done...you are right! I could probably pay for veneers if i saved what I spend on cigarettes! I'd be better saving it for a deposit on a mortgage though and living in hope that these teeth hold out for me!

Thanks for your frank and honest response! I needed that!
    It's time for a stock up on Patches!!!!
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Good on ya!

I'm 14 yrs without fags this Sept!

Ex smokers are always the worst! Your teeth WILL thank you though - by staying in your mouth! :D
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Hi Louizabeth, I've just noticed the revival of this thread - so I thought I'd reply to your question!

I have still had a couple of problems with the aforementioned teeth, in that I have had a crown fitted in one of them now. BUT I haven't had any 'new' problems since I posted the original thread - i.e any problems I have had have been with the teeth already mentioned, and only one of them at that.

Also I now think that if I had just had it crowned straightaway it would have been a better decision. It was cheaper to have it re-filled at the time, but not in the long run as it didn't last.

My old dentist has also retired and I have a new one now - who is very good, and not at all scary!

I have never smoked, so I can't blame my cracking teeth on that - just age-related wear and tear, apparently.

I have become much more teeth-conscious though, and no longer eat crunchy/hard food like raw nuts etc. or very chewy toffees!

Hope this helps, and good luck with your own teeth!

:D
  • I just happened on this forum whilst looking for information about a broken tooth. Last week I told my dentist that for the first time ever (I'm 46) a tooth had partially broken - he said don't worry, it often happened with old fillings and he would keep an eye on it (I'm really nervous of the dentist).:eek: Today, another tooth (next to that broken one) also broke and now I have almost one and a half gaps. It doesn't show, even when I grin and apart from a little sensitivity there is no pain.

My question is, do you think it would be OK just to leave this alone because I'm nervous about spending ages in the chair and having loads of work done?
  • WillowMuse
    WillowMuse Posts: 1,097 Forumite
    Hi Pegdog, If you leave it eventually it will cause you pain and you will suffer believe me!!

I had exactly the same happen to two of mine and left it though it would be ok ( also was terrified of the dentist)
    It got so bad that I was popping pills like smarties just to take the edge off it and I was a nightmare to live with:o

The teeth couldnt be saved and I had to have them both out, so in order to save them or at least try I would get them checked now...hth
    If your neighbour's grass is greener, its time to water your lawn!:rotfl::rotfl:
  • ynwa6
    ynwa6 Posts: 22 Forumite
    It really depends on the cause of the fracture. If the fracture is due to fatigue (which can occur next to old fillings due to stresses in the tooth as described above) then it may not deteriorate, especially if it is a small amount that has fractured away. However if the cause of fracture was decay or if the fracture is in an area where food/plaque may build up then there is potential for decay, causing the tooth to further weaken and fracture or cause pain.

Your dentist will assess the fracture and decide if it can be left, repaired or needs restoring.
  • ynwa6
    ynwa6 Posts: 22 Forumite
    edited 20 February 2010 at 4:47PM
    oops posted the same message again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business