Car Insurance Excess - how does it work?

Without too many details, my freelander had an attempted break in yesterday whilst i was in a shop. Drivers side passenger window smashed, lock busted and attemped to lift handle off car so drivers door panel badly damaged.

Insured fully comp with LV, policy states excess of 250 for theft or attempted. My policy also has a 60 pound windscreen excess.

My question is a general one, as i've never had to do this before. Would the 250 for theft excess cover all damage caused, or would i generally have to also pay the 60 pound glass excess. IMO it's all as a result of attempted theft and should be covered by the 250 excess only, but i'm not sure how insurance companies tend to work.

At present i've been forced to pay the 60 to autoglass who will be coming to temporarily repair today, but if possible i plan to charge this back to LV as part of the 250.

Many thanks for any help (i know it's dependant on insurer, just after personal opinions and experience)

Comments

• mattymoo
    mattymoo Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    Should just be the one excess (or at least thats how we used to do it in 94 when I left claims).
    You could ask the insurers to adjust the excess you pay the bodyshop down to £190. This is paid when you collect the vehicle.
  • V_tricky
    V_tricky Posts: 468 Forumite
    I'm pretty sure it's still the same - you just need to pay the remainder to the body shop as all the damage was result was caused a single incident

:smiley:
    :smiley: All posts made are my own opinions and constitute neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers :smiley:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure