PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2013 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• emmad5689
    emmad5689 Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Good look Welsh Poppy x
    To get to Disneyland Florida 2016
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 4 November 2013 at 10:32AM
    Awwww that's so kind of you :)

Spent £9.56 in B**ts on Saturday stocking up the medicine cabinet, including 16 cold and flu tablets for £1.99 - does anyone know where to get them any cheaper? I was hoping Ald! would have them better value, but couldn't see any.

Made homemade pizza tonight - it was minimal effort as I did the dough in the BM, and topped it with cheese and mushrooms which I'd grated/sliced in bulk and frozen :D little bit of tomato paste, some mixed herbs, chopped peppers and ham, delicious!

I stopped buying cold and flue tablets when I reaslised they were mainly paracetmol, I now only buy Paracetemol tablets, boots own, and a smart price bottle of lemon squash, does the job at a fraction of the cost.
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    That mark up is just ridiculous. I have been tempted to buy a pack though (on good offer), as they do look nice and crispy on the pack, and I want to see how they get them crispy in the microwave (I'm assuming they're already ovenbaked!

I really don't think they will be crispy when microwaved, I know my home baked ones arn`t
    Slimming World at target
  • marris
    marris Posts: 644
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 4 November 2013 at 10:43AM
    spent £1,50 yesterday in Mr S on halloween sweets and got free yogurt with coupons.
    £1.98 in Mr T on YS veg and bread. updated my signature.
    got a £3 off £20 spend in Mr T for this week so need to see what i really need.otherwise staying away from shops and a have a meal plan for this week,gonna stick to that, well at least will try.
    Jan GC £66,82/100 Jan NSD 17/31; Feb GC £71,67/100 Feb NSD 14/28;Mar GC £81,82/100 Mar NSD 16/31;Apr GC £99,54/100 Apr NSD 14/30; May GC £127,20/100 May NSD 12/31; June GC £70,05/100 June NSD 17/30; July GC £47,52/100 NSD 05/31
  • Hi everyone.
    My budget this month is £460. I managed to come in under budget by £5 per week in October so I've decided to use £115 per week as my new target.
    Have already been to Mr S where I spent £74.01 and Mr T where I spent £8.91.
    Will catch up on all the posts over lunch (got to unpack the shopping and make the leek & potato soup).
    Here's to a good month.
  • lushlifesaver
    lushlifesaver Posts: 2,375
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 4 November 2013 at 1:47PM
    £46.50 now after the weekend.

Got to buy garlic bread, lettuce for at home and some other salad bits to keep at work for the week today too.

Only just twigged that bf is away half the week next week and the same again the week after (Wednesday - Saturday next week, Thursday - late Sunday night week after) so that should mean very little to buy those weeks. Might be able to get away with just milk, butter and orange juice (fingers crossed)

Back from the shop and realised about half way round that not picking things up today will mean making the rest of my week much harder with regards to what I plan for my breaks and likely to end up in more money spent so, with that in mind, I picked up a few things...to add to total £9.80 bringing me up to £56.30 but I bought a months worth of eggs, garlic bread for 3 meals, a lettuce for bf's lunches (2 weeks), a carrot, a couple of reduced 'halloween' chocolates for each of us as a treat whilst watching a film tonight, 2 packs of toffee apple crisps (half price. treat for my draw at work!), 2 chocolate 'sundaes' for bf and a salad tray for work (will last a few days) determined not to shop now until Thursday at the earliest!
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • 2childmum
    2childmum Posts: 240 Forumite
    The first week of November for me, so I've planned mainly around my bulging freezer without going into my home made meals I'm saving for jury service next week. Having real problems finding child care for some evenings and the INSET day they are both off at the end. I do have friends that would have them but they all have younger kids so I can't see much homework getting done, and if it's not done every evening it builds up into an insurmountable mountain rather quickly. I think DH will have to take more time off work than we were hoping. Plus they can't tell me whether the food at the court restaurant is dairy free and if I take a packed lunch I won't get the money back! Sorry, off topic rant over!

So my plan for this week -
    Mon - roast lamb (tucked away in the freezer) with roast pots, parsnips, carrots and broccoli
    Tues - home made chicken and veg pie with the remains of a roast chicken from several weeks ago
    Weds - pork casserole in the slow cooker
    Thurs - smoked fish crumble (this has appeared and not been cooked for about 4 weeks now!) Hoping to make 2 but not convinced there is room in the freezer for the second one
    Fri - sticky chicken stir fry
    Sat - sticky salmon and couscous
    Sun - Mediterranean cheese crumble

Spent £21.30 in Me M and £50.69 in Mr T, including some reduced halloween sweets and cakes and 2 puddings. We don't do Halloween in our house but I'm quite happy to buy the reduced left overs!
    May spend - £291.40/£320.00
    June spend - £106.40/£320.00
  • carlamarie_2
    carlamarie_2 Posts: 1,038
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Hi everyone, I hope no one minds if I join in with this challenge?
    We are a family of 2dults, 3kids aged 6,5 and 2 and two german shepherds.

I am aiming to spend £80 per week. This will include all food, toiletries and cleaning products. In regards to the dogs it will include the smaller things such as dog bags and treats (usually £2 every two weeks) but I won't add their sacks of food onto this

I really need to knock the popping into the shop on the way home from school on the head too, so will aim for 10 NSDs too.

I am starting this challenge tomorrow (payday)

Looking forward to talking to you all
    Mummy to ds 29/12/06 dd 10/2/08 ds 25/5/11
    :Amy angel born too soon 18/11/12, always with me Emmie Faith:A

15 projects in 2015 10/15completed
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hi all :)

A NSD today..but i dont know if i can hold out for the rest of the day..really fancy chocolate..MUST RESIST!!
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I am really beginning to consider that the budget I set myself is just not realistic. I include everything; food, booze, dog and fish food, toiletries, cleaning and laundry and other bits like batteries. I am GF and my DH has decided he wants to go GF too which is going to increase our costs a little. DS will still eat non GF bread, cereal etc. We could do better than we do now but I don't think we will ever get the total really low or TBH really want to. Luckily we can afford to spend a little bit more but I would rather not spend too much more.

The batteries I have bought this week have come to £10.99 alone! They should last until well after Christmas though;)

I received my Mr T vouchers in the post and was gutted not to have received a so much off a spend vouchers that I normally get with them. 10 minutes later a chap posted a flyer through the door that gave £8 off £40/week for the next 4 weeks:D It wouldn't go through at Mr T but they did deduct it off my shop.

I have another 2 to use this challenge month and will have 1 and a £20 on line voucher to use next month:D

I did my first batch cooking in ages at the weekend; 3 cottage pies and 2 chicken and leek pies. I have some past-it banans to make into a double chocolate banna cake tonight.

Meal plan this week:

M - boiled ham, waffles, eggs and beans (had the ham yesterday too)
    T - Sausage casserole and rice
    W - carbonarra and garlic bread using last bit of ham
    Th - Cottage pie with frozen veg
    F - Chicken and leek gratin with frozen veg
    Sa - Thai green curry and rice
    Su - Mum's for lunch so jacket pots in SC with beans/cheese
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories