Mixer tap not working

(I might have previously posted this in the wrong section)

We have a mixer tap on the bathroom sink which seems to have expired - no water seems to be coming out when we lift the tap. It feels very slack (almost as if a spring or elastic has snapped).

It was a gradual death - initial problems started about 4 weeks ago.

This is the type of tap (not exact - but very close)

http://www.assistireland.ie/uploadedfiles/Product_Images/Personal_Care/Bath_Accessories/Monobloc%20spray%20mixer%20tap%206157.jpg

Dont know ANYTHING about plumbing, so it seems logical to replace it (bought from B&Q - lasted only 18 months!) - but could it be simply repaired by me?

It seems as though all plumbers charge EMERGENCY rates - this is not an emergency, but how much (approx) would it cost to replace a mixer tap (remove/replace) - if we supply the new tap?

Many thanks.

Comments

• BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Given your description it may be that some sort of grubscrew or the like has come loose causing the tap handle to be disconnected from the internal mechanism. Some manufacturers have diagrams of their products on the net so it may be worth searching that out.

Would you care to define "EMERGENCY rates" please?
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • nobile
    nobile Posts: 574 Forumite
    Given your description it may be that some sort of grubscrew or the like has come loose causing the tap handle to be disconnected from the internal mechanism. Some manufacturers have diagrams of their products on the net so it may be worth searching that out.

Would you care to define "EMERGENCY rates" please?

Thanks Bob - its a start....is it possible to fix it?

I will see if we have any instructions (it was a discontinued model from B & Q)

As for 'Emergency Rates' - about £70-£80??? I have no idea what the 'norm' should be - I dont want to get ripped off.
  • Gaz_2-2
    Gaz_2-2 Posts: 85 Forumite
    If you cant fix it yourself you could try your local paper for plumber or handyman close to you give them a ring and get quote for replacement of a mixer tap most shouldn't any emergency call out charges.
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you know the make of the tap, you will be able to get a replacement cartridge, as the parts inside are non-servicable.

cost for fitting a new tap £50 topps ( tap not included)
  • BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think £70-£80 is on the high side but maybe not if you are in central London ;)
    A lot of B&Q's taps were / are Damixa. See http://www.damixa.com/new/default.asp
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure