PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• xx_Jo_xx
    xx_Jo_xx Posts: 2,858 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Hi
    Jo - I've often thought about the jelly thing for lunch - does it stay ok until lunchtime - I have visions of it melting everywhere

Helen

Hi Helen - no they are fine. That said, I freeze his sandwiches, rolls etc and he has a thermal type lunchbox - and I put the sandwich in his lunchbox in the morning and it is defrosted by lunch, so perhaps cos its cold in there till lunchtime, I dont know, :confused: - but they have always been ok.

When it comes home after school and I am cleaning it out again, there are still tiny pieces of jelly which are still 'solid' (if you can call jelly solid!) - SET!! Thats the word Im looking for! So I dont think it 'melts' at all.

Went to aldi yesterday for the super six, got a load of grapes, some peppers, potatoes, some pesto and other bits that we needed and spent £9! That was for two big bags of shopping!! Very pleased with myself!

xx
    :)Sometimes lurking, sometimes posting, but always flying:)
    You are supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake! - The Holiday
    DFW :idea: August 2013... Debt total £15,475.56 - Jan 15 £11,738.66 - DEBT FREE by 2015
    Feb GC £48.02/£250 (£201.98)
    :D I will declutter my house and debts :D
  • DrFluffy
    DrFluffy Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    I made the sticky chicken recipe last night - really, really good!!!

I had a bit of a blip at the weekend, with graduation and everything, I brought drinks, a take away pizza. I can't even claim "you only graduate once" given it was my third!!! Still, it was definitely the best graduation!!! Added a rogue £20 to my runnin total though!!!
    April Grocery Challenge £81/£120
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    rosieben wrote: »
    My favourite courgette recipe is very easy (originally from Delia) -

fry sliced courgettes in oil until golden
    slice some tomatoes

in a casserole dish put
    - layer of courgettes
    - layer of tomatoes
    - layer of sliced cheese or cheese sauce

oven cook until golden brown on top

depending on how many courgettes I have I usually do 2 or 3 layers of each ending with a cheese/cheese sauce layer; if using cheese sauce then I grate a little cheese on the top ;)

forgot to say that sometimes I add a couple of cloves of garlic when frying the courgettes

Hi rosieben - many thanks for this, looks really yummy. Shall give this a try tonight. I have all of Delia's Cookbooks - why is it when I have over 200 cookbooks I forget to look in the obvious places?:confused:
    Hi everyone :D

my DH got the intrenal job he was wanting so now he won't be made 'surplus' and let go, so for the time being he's still employed and things aren't as bad as we thought :)

LV x

Hi Lemon_Verbena - many congrats on your OH getting that job, must be a weight off your mind.

I've updated my total as I've been to Lidl, Aldi and Asda today. Popped into Lidl as they have 400g packs of Cheese on special at only £1.24 and we use a lot of cheese. Got the Super 6 in Aldi and then into Asda for a big shop to try and tide me over until the end of the first week of the School Hols, plan is not to go shopping again until end of next week and only buy milk etc until then.

Asda had 3 litre bottles of Squash on special at £1 each either Blackcurrant or Orange & Pineapple, didn't spot anything else too exciting as I wanted to stick to my list and not veer off into temptation.:o

Have a good day everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hello

I was hoping to come in under budget this month to claw back a bit of the £80 overspend for the first 6 months but it doesn't look like it's going to happen:o

I am pleased with what we have spent this month though, although we will probably end up a bit over budget, I have stuck to £50 week but included absoloutly everything, that is food and drink, dog food and treats, OH beer, toiletries, hair dye, cleaning stuff, picnic food, snacks and drinks out and the one naughty takeaway we have had. Previously I have excluded some of the food eaten outside the house and some of OH beer but as there isn't another pot for this to come out of I think I was cooking the books a bit.

So far we have spent £217.11 so have £32.89 left to last 12 days which is possible if we don't eat out this weekend when we aree away in the caravan!:rolleyes:
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,874 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi - just popping in to update my spends total.

Have gone slightly over but nowhere near as bad as last month and the month before. Went to A!di today whilst visiting DMum and got some of their super 6 grapes, pots, peppers and bananas. Also got their brand of cereal, bread, and a couple of bags of their home cooked crisps as DH has a scout meeting here tonight and they need something to go with their 'leader pop'.

Don't expect to spend anything else on groceries this month (my month finishes on Sunday) but famous last words etc.....

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 July 2009 at 5:15PM
    Hi all,

well ihavnt been on mse for a long long time ...i got busy trying to live but life kept getting in the way...anyway it isnt a very interesting story but i will be starting another diary on the dfw board if anyone is interested ...

but basically what it comes down to is hubby and i sat down with the finances ...we have £8 a day to spend on food/work/cleaning things etc etc ....now i know £8 a day is positively loads by the way some of you people manage to do things but for me it is very scary...

so i need help ...i am vegetarian hubby a carnivore...and i need it to be healthy ...my health isnt good i really need to get on top of it and what better way than a challange ...

other things ...well i work long hours doing shifts and i am a full time student i also have my own business (which isnt doing well i might need to look into shutting it down ) so i dont really have much time to cook ...hence the reason why i know all the take away numbers off by heart ...but at £8 a day that just cant happen anymore

and i cant cook ....thats not to say i cant cook i can just not very well...but i have absolutely no imagination in the kitchen at all ...unless it is something i have cooked several times before or is from a cook book forget it ...hubby is a good cook ...but everything has to have meat in it and he uses so many sauces etc that i just cant see a way we can afford to keep that up...

if you can help me get organised in this area i truly would appreaciate it... i need to get orgainsed ...

it needs to be cheap (what would be a good budget for food) (what for cleaning/work etc) vegetarian and carnivore ...healthy and quick

thanks for reading
  • Callisto
    Callisto Posts: 928 Forumite
    I spent £14.81 at Aldi and £28.42 at Morrisons at the weekend, so I have £25.29 to last to the end of the month, not very impressed with myself! I may still be able to salvage the situation though... the freezer needs defrosting anyway, so we'll eat what's in there and just buy bread, milk and fruit and veg, plus I have a couple of vouchers I can use too.
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Hiya hun, good to see you over here :D

Here's Gingham Ribbon's excellent vegetarian meal plan includes shopping list

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=453694&highlight=vegetarian+meal+plan
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    thanks triker ...nice to see your still here ....i have been feeling nostalgic for mse the last few days...great to see some lovely peeps are still kicking around
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    elantan wrote: »
    thanks triker ...nice to see your still here ....i have been feeling nostalgic for mse the last few days...great to see some lovely peeps are still kicking around

We have the same signature.....:T:D:rotfl:
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure