Contract Cooling Off period

Hi- Help- I have just signed up to a 18 month contract with Phones 4 u. it seems like a good enough offer- 12 months half price, freebies etc, but i'm not sure if i want it- i might be better off on pay as you go.

What is the cooling off period- is there one? I can't see on the contract, but is there some legal requirement. Please help- this is one hell of a spur of the minute purchase!

D

Comments

• the_tired_one
    the_tired_one Posts: 1,262 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Usually 7 or 14 days (depends on the service provider) - you should be able to contact Phones 4 U (online) and get a returns code. Or take it back to the store , and if everything is unused - you should be allowed to cancel and get any money back. 1st Direct debit may go through but will be refunded the month after.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Online and offline contracts are different in terms of cooling off - online are covered by distance selling regs, offline (ie from the shop) are not.

I don't know the 4u cancellation policy but seem to recall in everything I have seen from other retailers that TMobile have a different policy to everyone else.

I know it may be stating the obvious, but you should not be signing contracts for 18 months (or 12 months for that matter) as a spur of the moment decision - check the small print, check the detail before signing up and be sure that the contract/tariff suits your needs. That said, it is possible to sign in haste when you see what appears to be a good offer then spot something else even better soon after - if you have changed your mind and it is possible to cancel, get it done quickly to make sure that you cancel within the stated period.

Anon
  • has anyone managed to cancel a tmobile contract from Phones 4 U?
  • arg- its vodaphone. anyone know about vodaphone cx policy in Phones 4 U or other shops. all i can find online are online mobile contracts. i also tried ofcom. does anyone even know where to look?
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    what does the paperwork you signed say? and the staff at the shop?
  • DaisyDaisy
    DaisyDaisy Posts: 29 Forumite
    Paperwork doesnt mention any cooling off period-

I know the staff will make it difficult to cancel- their job is to sell. I want to know if i have any rights to cancel before i go in.
  • jumper_2
    jumper_2 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Omg poor advice Anon.

Are you telling this poor person once they sign the contract in a shop there is no mandatory cooling off period? In which case you would be wrong.
  • DaisyDaisy
    DaisyDaisy Posts: 29 Forumite
    thank god- any way i can find out my rights on this? I am worried they are going to make life dfficult for me if i just go in. i want to know what i am talking baout...
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    jumper wrote:
    Omg poor advice Anon.

Are you telling this poor person once they sign the contract in a shop there is no mandatory cooling off period? In which case you would be wrong.

In which case maybe you could provide the relevant info about how long a cooling off period the OP may have so she can deal with it accordingly ;)
  • jumper_2
    jumper_2 Posts: 39 Forumite
    I honestly don't remember or I would have :), there's always a cooling off period these days when you sign something. The rules vary if its timeshare, doorstop, mobile phone etc. i would check the trading standards/CAB (citizens advice bureau) it will be on there ;)

PS You'll need to find out or they will rely on our collective ignorance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure