How much meat do you eat?

Comments

• kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    I eat meat daily, I would be very ill if I didn't and the cost of me being ill would be considerably more than the cost of the meat I eat, both in monetary value and on the environment
    Zebras rock
  • stevemcol
    stevemcol Posts: 1,666 Forumite
    Think of the greenhouse methane we'd produce if we were all vegetarians!
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • Angry_Bear
    Angry_Bear Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    I have some meat with most meals. However, to save money and reduce our meat intake, these meals only contain a very small amount of meat (it's normal for 2 smallish chicken breasts to make 6 portions).

So it's the poll won't quite tell the whole story.
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
  • Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I find that I'm eating less meat, simply for reasons of cost.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • Meat is too expensive, and hugely overrated. The trouble is we kill off another industry soon enough nothing will be left of anyone's livelihoods. If we lived in a more sustainable environment, with the right balance, then it wouldnt be as bad as it all seems.

Trouble is, it's money and profits that drive the world, not people, and their needs.
  • redglass_2
    redglass_2 Posts: 771 Forumite
    stevemcol wrote: »
    Think of the greenhouse methane we'd produce if we were all vegetarians!

This always comes up, but mostly it's down to what you're used to. Most people don't eat enough veg or legumes, so their digestive systems react when they do. There are individual foods that will always upset some people's stomachs (with me it's apricots) but if it's just a matter of not being used to things, the problem solves itself naturally over time. I can eat beans and lentils with no problem but nothing, NOTHING makes me f*rt like a big meaty pizza.
    'Whatever you dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin now.' Goethe

• Lagoon
    Lagoon Posts: 934 Forumite
    Almost all meals for me include meat. I'm a fairly picky eater, and whilst I do eat eat vegetables I need them with the flavour of meat. Lunches are slow-cooked mince with a variety of vegetables to bulk them up/reduce the calorie content per portion/add nutritional value.

Evening meals are usually chicken, fish, beef or gammon products with vegetables.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    I chose 5-6 times a week, although i am only basing that on this week to come as i am clearing out my freezer.
    I am slowly trying to eat less meat and more alternatives.
  • theYeti wrote: »
    Meat is too expensive, and hugely overrated. The trouble is we kill off another industry soon enough nothing will be left of anyone's livelihoods. If we lived in a more sustainable environment, with the right balance, then it wouldnt be as bad as it all seems.

Trouble is, it's money and profits that drive the world, not people, and their needs.

Some meat products are expensive some are incredibly cheap
    Hugely overrated? How and by who?
  • Rotor
    Rotor Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    *KKH_KISH* wrote: »
    So many selfish, ignorant people. You could tell them the world will end tomorrow if they keep eating meat and they'd STILL stomp their feet and bleat about their rights to do so. I doubt half the voters (or commenters on FB) even bothered to read the opening statement about the point of the poll, just jumped to the usual defensive "I eat loads of meat coz I want to and we're meant to... blah blah..." nonsense. *sigh*

Selfishness and ignorance are not limited to the omnivorous community!
    This research suggests the west should eat significantly less meat not that vegetarianism is the way forward to feed the world.
    Large tracts of hillside and mountain would produce nothing at
    all if animals were not farmed and what a waste of those animals that need culling to control numbers? (such as deer - with no natural predators )
    If food production and resource preservation are really your prime concern (and not the sentimental and anthropomorphic 'meat is murder' viewpoint) then I imagine you are equally appalled by the production of luxury, low yield crops such as asparagus and baby sweetcorn?

Or maybe not
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport