The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Delivery rights: eBay

articlealert2_banner.gif

Hi all, this discussion thread's part of the Delivery Rights guide, specifically for if you've complained to eBay about delivery problems using the techniques in the guide.

Please tell us how you got on - we want to know if you were awarded any compensation from eBay, and if so, how much? Just let us know the amount and reason below; to add more general feedback on the guide, pop over to the main Delivery Rights discussion thread.

Thanks
for your help,

MSE Rose

Comments

• Bought a bed on eBay which arrived in THREE separate deliveries spanning 5 days. Husband had to take a second day off so opened an eBay dispute. Dispute was settled in seller's favour as 'loss of earnings' is NOT covered!!! Finally received contact from seller who reluctantly agreed a partial refund of £30. Better than nothing but no way near the loss of earnings we suffered for taking a second day off of work. Very disappointed with the lack of buyer protection.
  • jobdone1
    jobdone1 Posts: 841
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    i think this is a fair offer and that you are being harsh on the seller.
  • SLC55
    SLC55 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Just contacted the seller on ebay after I had to take four days off work because DPD repeatedly failed to turn up, seller states they do not give compensations for this and neither does DPD. So I contacted ebay and they simply do not want to know, have told me they can not do anything about it.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    SLC55 wrote: »
    Just contacted the seller on ebay after I had to take four days off work because DPD repeatedly failed to turn up, seller states they do not give compensations for this and neither does DPD. So I contacted ebay and they simply do not want to know, have told me they can not do anything about it.
    You haven't said whether you ever received the thing or not.

If you still haven't got the goods, open an item not received dispute.
  • Bought an item, both ebay and the sellers courier gave me delivery date of 20/05/2014. Item arrived on 21/05/2014, leaving me £80 out of pocket for second day off work. Ebay offer was £25 voucher, seller said take it up with courier. Have written to tanya.lawler@ebay.com, ebay uk managing director to see if I can get a better answer, if not off to trading standards for advice.
  • HELP!!! I feel like I'm on the receiving end of a big injustice. If anyone is prepared to go through the trouble of reading the below email thread from the bottom up, and then offer me advice as to how to proceed, I'd be most grateful. I'm happy to be told I have no case, but until then I believe I'm being treated unfairly.

Thanks so much in advance,

Harrisimo

Dan,

Thanks again for emailing back in. My name is Sam P. and I have looked further into this situation. I want you to know we have made a final decision in this case. I am sorry to tell you the news. However, I know you are not prepared to call the seller that is ok. If you don’t feel comfortable doing something don’t do it. You can always reach out in email to the seller. I also would encourage you to contact Royal Mail. They may be able to pull up the tracking number. I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sam P.

eBay Customer Service

Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 6:22 AM
    To: Facebook eBay.UK
    Subject: RE: Issue regarding item number 221776127193

Hi Greg,

No, I haven't. Nothing at all. Can you not re-open the case in light of the fact that the seller has been uncooperative here? That would seem to be the fairest option here, effectively forcing the seller to open a case with the Royal Mail.

If that's not possible, I understand I have the following options:

Telephone the seller. I am not prepared to do this as a) I'll need to share my own telephone number with her, and b) the conversation will not be documented in writing.

Contact the Royal Mail again. I have tried this option twice, and both times I've been told that it is the seller's responsibility to open a case.

Are these my only options? If that's the case, it's a ridiculous situation and I cannot believe that I am having to go to such lengths in order to get my money back because I have not received the item I paid for. If this had happened with Amazon or any other reputable online retailer / shopping service, a refund would have been issued a long time ago. Please can you explain to me why eBay are different?

Thanks,

Dan

To:
    Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 11:56:33 +0000

Hi Dan,

I hope you’ve been contacted by the seller, haven’t you?

In case you didn’t, as the case has been closed in seller’s favour because they have provided a proof of delivery and the courier declared that is seller’s responsibility to open a case with them, you can try to contact the Royal Mail once again explaining them that the seller has not been cooperative at this stage.

I’m sorry if I can’t be more helpful but I hope to have explained you all the steps you can do at this time.

Greg

Sent: 27 July 2015 10:02
    Subject: Re: Issue regarding item number 221776127193

Thank you. I haven’t heard anything from her yet. Please can you let me know what the next steps are if she doesn’t get in touch.

Many thanks,
    Dan

Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2015 10:41 AM
    To:

Hi Dan,

Sorry for our delayed response.

I understand your concern about being uncomfortable to speak with your trading partner by phone, but this is our procedure to solve issues between users.

I confirm I have personally contacted the seller asking to contact the courier and to work this out with you. I also want to assure you I have asked her to keep you informed preferably by email.

I hope you’ll find this helpful.

Thanks,

Greg

Sent: 20 July 2015 10:50

Hi Eric,

I'm afraid I'm not comfortable attempting to resolve this via telephone as there will be no written audit trail. Also, I understand that by requesting the seller's telephone number, she will also receive my telephone number. I am not comfortable with this at all.

I'm disappointed that this case is still not moving towards a satisfactory conclusion. As I pointed out, I have been a loyal eBay member for almost 15 years with a 100% feedback record. I am not pursuing this case for fun. I simply wish to be refunded for an item that I did not receive and don't believe that this is an unreasonable request. And as a business that has made money out of this transaction, I ask that in return eBay provides me with basic customer service by undertaking the necessary steps to make this happen. At this stage, after trying so many different options but essentially being blocked every time (see my original email), I need this assistance.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Dan

To:facebook.uk@ebay.com
    Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 13:45:40 +0000

Hello Dan,

Can you advise if you have reached out to your trading partner by telephone?

I have included the process below on how you request the members contact details so you can reach out to them to resolve the below issue.

[LINK REMOVED]

If your trading partner is still unwilling to assist you, please contact us directly on 0800 358 6551 and the team will review if they can open another case for you solely for communication purposes.

Regards,

Eric

Sent: 16 July 2015 12:14

Hi Eric,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Please can you re-read my email. I contacted the Royal Mail, but they said it’s the seller’s responsibility to open a case with them and get the documentation you require in order for me to appeal the case. When I contacted the seller, she ignored me. Perhaps you can contact the seller on my behalf, as when I tried to leave her negative feedback in an attempt to take notice of my simple request, eBay automatically removed this feedback.

I am pulling my hair out: I bought an expensive item, and I didn’t receive it. I thought that the Moneyback Guarantee would protect me here.

I am deeply unhappy, and remain out of pocket. Please advise.

Dan

Sent: 16 July 2015 12:08
    To:

Hello Dan,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

As the seller provided tracking details that shows the item was delivered and signed for this is why the case was closed in their favour.

If you would like to appeal this decision we will need supporting documentation from Royal Mail stating that the item was not delivered to you. If you can get them to provide this on Royal Mail headed paper we can escalate your claim to the Resolution Team for review!

Kind regards,

Eric

Sent: 15 July 2015 19:47
    Subject: Re: Issue regarding item number 221776127193

Hi,

Another week has passed and still no response. Extremely unsatisfactory service - a bit like the case itself.

Please advise.

Dan

On 8 Jul 2015, at 20:16, Dan Harris <dan_g_harris@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Can I have a response please?

Many thanks,

Dan

On 4 Jul 2015, at 11:19

Item Number: 221776127193

eBay Member name: munkmeister

Hello,

Having contacted the eBay UK account on Facebook regarding an issue I have been experiencing, it was suggested that I send an email to this address.

In May I bought the above item, a birthday present for my wife, for £53 + £4 postage. The seller posted the item to my work/office address using Royal Mail Special Delivery. Unfortunately the item never arrived. When I traced the item using the Royal Mail tracking number (AE679195038GB) on their website, it said the item had been delivered, along with proof of signature and time stamp. The signature definitely wasn't mine, and the time stamp was a Saturday morning – our office is closed on Saturdays.

After checking with neighbouring offices and the local sorting office to no avail, I realised that it was unlikely I would be receiving the item, so it was now a case of going through the process of getting my money back. I contacted the seller who pointed out that she had done everything she could by sending the item via Royal Mail Special Delivery – fair enough, for now. So after waiting the required amount of time, I opened a case with eBay using the Resolution Centre. Frustratingly, within minutes eBay closed the case in the seller's favour, clearly not having investigated or checked the facts. I was advised on the case notes to send an appeal if I wasn’t satisfied with the outcome, but nowhere on eBay could I find how to lodge an appeal – there was no link on the item listing.

Having paid for the item using PayPal, and therefore thinking I must be protected by PayPal’s Buyer Protection, I next tried to open a case with PayPal. Not possible, I was told, as I had already opened a case with eBay.

Next I contacted the Royal Mail about it, but they told me it was the seller's responsibility to open a lost item case. However, when I contacted the seller, asking her to open a case with the Royal Mail, I received no response.

Finally, in a desperate attempt to get the seller to pay attention to me, I tried leaving negative feedback, but this feedback was removed automatically by eBay.

Meanwhile, I remain £57.00 out of pocket, and my wife remains without a birthday present. This doesn’t seem fair at all, given that it has been me rather than the seller who has tried every possible route to get my money back, and that at every point I have been effectively “blocked”. I realise that the fault here most probably lies with the Royal Mail, who say it’s the seller’s responsibility to open a case with them. However, there is no obligation on the seller to do this, especially if my only method of forcing the seller to take notice (by leaving negative feedback) is blocked.

The situation is extremely frustrating and disappointing, and makes a mockery of eBay’s much-lauded Money Back Guarantee: “We guarantee you get the item you ordered or your money back.”

As you’ll see I have been a loyal eBay member for almost 15 years, currently with 100% feedback. For now, however, I have lost complete confidence in eBay and will not be using the service again unless I can be confident that I am protected as a buyer. As such, I would be very grateful if somebody could review the case please and let me know the next steps in order to receive a full refund for my un-received item.

Many thanks
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 31 July 2015 at 9:42AM
    Harrisimo wrote: »
    HELP!!! I feel like I'm on the receiving end of a big injustice. If anyone is prepared to go through the trouble of reading the below email thread from the bottom up, and then offer me advice as to how to proceed, I'd be most grateful. I'm happy to be told I have no case, but until then I believe I'm being treated unfairly.

Thanks so much in advance,

Harrisimo

<snip>
    You would be better off starting a thread on the Ebay board.

Also can I suggest you take a moment to put the emails in order starting with the earliest. Make it easier for others to help you. ;)

It would be a good idea to remove all identifying info from your post... e.g. email address, ebay item number, ebay user id, etc.

The intended recipient is able to claim from Royal Mail for a lost parcel.
    Read their claim process and on the claim form you will see that you have the opportunity to state whether you are the sender or recipient.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,155
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    wealdroam wrote: »
    The intended recipient is able to claim from Royal Mail for a lost parcel.
    Read their claim process and on the claim form you will see that you have the opportunity to state whether you are the sender or recipient.
    That is useful information. How often though do we read about the "fact" that recipients cannot make a claim from RM.

• specifically for if you've complained to eBay about delivery problems using the techniques in the guide.

MSE Rose

Why would people be complaining to eBay about their delivery problems, it doesn't have anything to do with them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure