Get a rebate on your sewerage rates charges

Options

Comments

• RCB28
    RCB28 Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    We are with Severn Trent - our site is 6 years old and I found out we're on a soakaway from a neighbour. We filled in the form, had a guy come out to do the briefest inpection and it was all sotred - refund of charges - and rightly so!
    Another neighbour is having problems though - ST are now are saying they'll need to do tests with dye etc...?! The same company!!! They could simply look on their little computer and see our entire site is eligible for a reduction in charges! I ask you!
    "Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping."
    Bo Derek
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Man came out to inspect the property from severn trent. He said its connected to the sewer. He put buckets of water down the drains but it didnt show up on my property's sewer inspection chamber as he said the sewer was running the other way and next door wasnt in to check. He said he could hear a hiss which said it was going through the sewer I couldnt hear a thing but he sent it in writing though. The front gutterings are not going to the sewer but he said they would still get me on that as theres a slight slope in the drive to the road but I could put some kind of aluminium gutter thing there if I wanted to avoid that and channel the rear pipe to avoid using the sewer. There is just 1 guttering downpipe that he says is going to the sewer.

To me I think its rather mean that they have the authority to charge people when the drive slants a bit to the road when its not even going to a sewer, even if the rear gutter on my house wasnt going to the sewer they would still have charged me for the slant
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • rmh_3
    rmh_3 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Note to Pom:
    If you drainpipes all go into the ground assume you have a soak away.
    If they go into the drain with your pipes from the bathroom & kitchen sinks, or they just empty onto the pavement, then you probably can't claim.

If you think you are OK, just phone your water company and ask for the form. If it's like the thames water form it has all sorts or sections saying can you prove it, do you have diagrams etc. But just complete it the best you can with your own diagrams and how you have verified it etc. All houses in your street will be the same - so if anyone else has made a sucessful claim yours will be OK too. They have the option of sending out an inspector to check - but for the sake of £17 it's not worth their while, you will probably get the rebate anyway! Get the form and have a go, ignore the legalese on the form, let them prove it!
  • STAR_BUCK
    Options
    Hello

Thanks for all on this thread for highlighting this potentially moneysaving issue. We just moved into a property built 20 years ago, checked the drainage search paperwork that our solictor sent us and low and behold it states that our surface water is not connected to the sewers whoo hoo! It even states in the search that we should enquire about a rebate regarding surface water charges with Thames Water.
    Foned them yesterday adn they've promised to send me a form to sign. That should save me a few bob over the years! :D :j
  • allycat999
    Options
    Severn Trent are difficult to claim from, we had to telephone several times just to get the claim form sent out. Filled in claim form, submitted with detailed plan of site. Assessor came out and we passed. I think they make it as difficult as possible to claim on purpose.
  • STAR_BUCK
    STAR_BUCK Posts: 357 Forumite
    Options
    Update- I rang Thames Water regarding my rebate and they said they no longer require forms to be filled in. The appropraite department checked my address on a map, realised that I had a soakaway adn granted my rebate straight away. Just waiting for 3 Valleys Water to add it on their system so that future bills will exclude the sewerage charge! whoo hoo!
  • FieryBlondeScot
    Options
    not sure if im reading this right. if the drainpipe has one of those grids that the water goes into i can get the rebate? gonna ring thames water and see what they say
  • FieryBlondeScot
    Options
    they are going to send me a form out, said i have to contact my landlord to look at the deeds to confirm. am i going to have to draw a map of my flats for this????

they also said they dont have that geographical info system to check on
  • nikkimaclean
    Options
    Just a quick note, if you cant download the forms off the internet, and you have probs getting them sent to you.

You can just write a letter and enclose your own plan then send it in to the water company, most times they will accept this.
  • broxbourne
    Options
    HI - Well Done You!! - We did it too!
    But it is not a 'rebate' - they were charging you for something they did not supply you with! I have posted a question 'how do we claim back all that we have 'overpaid' - not just the last two bills worth!?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure