How to cancel a gym membership

Elvisia
Elvisia Posts: 914 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 8 March 2013 at 2:27PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Official MoneySavingExpert.com insert

For a full list of the latest offers and deals, as well as advice on managing your gym membership, see the Cheap Gyms guide.

Back to the original post...

Hello
I am trying to cancel my LA Fitness membership, I have been a member for about 3 years, but I changed my membership to get a joint membership with a friend, then rejoined after a year when she left. Because that was only 6 months ago they are telling me I need to pay to cancel this membership, and my previous years there don't count as "the system will ask for a cancellation fee" and they're saying it will be between £150-£250!!!! They keep telling me to find someone else, I have advertised at work and put an ad on gumtree.com but I am running out of options. They also keep telling me to sell it to a family member, but since everyone is over 70 years old and live 25 miles away that's not going to happen and it's getting offensive as I explain this then they ask again if any family members can take over.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how I can either not pay so much to the gym, or where i can advertise it? I am moving abroad in a month's time, so I need to cancel it soon. I don't seem to have any rights as the gym said they would take me to court if I didn't pay the fee (which they haven't even decided on). I do feel very much at their mercy?

Comments

• Cnacel your Direct Debit and write them a letter saying you're too ill to exercise.
  • babitat
    babitat Posts: 58 Forumite
    I just cancelled my direct debit - albeit after a years membership. Never heard from them again.
  • If you have signed a contract for a year's membership, then you are obliged to pay a year's fees. If you cancel the direct debit, they will be perfectly entitled to sue you in the county court for the money.

Best to check your terms and conditions to see if there are any circumstances in which you can cancel.
    "Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
  • Elvisia
    Elvisia Posts: 914 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The admin person I spoke to did actually say "oh someone people do just stop their direct debit" so I said what would happen if I did that "LA Fitness would send round an agent to reclaim the money and you would be blacklisted on your credit score for ten years". I can't believe she offered not paying them as an option!!!
  • After three years wouldn't you be in your right to cancel? Though usually its just the first year then after that you can cancel at any time?!

Well I cancelled mine, said Id had a heart operation that had gone wrong and I couldn't get out of bed let alone exercise. Ok it was a bit naughty (my heart operation went very well) but didn't have much choice!

Say you've lost your job and physically cannot afford it. Or you could freeze the account, I know Fitness First will let you do that
  • A friend of mine cancelled her direct debit at LA fitness and they came after her. They first started with letters, which she ignored, and then she finally got a court notice saying that the bailifs will be sent 'round if she didn't pay up.

She got really upset / nervous about it and went to the gym and they came into an agreement that she had to pay £20/month for the rest of the contact but she could not use the gym.

I would speak with the manager of that LA fitness and explain that you've been a member for 3 years etc and hopefully let you quit. The other option is to speak to your doctor (or even better if you have a friend who's a doctor) and see if they'll write you a note. :o

You could also try that you're moving... Just make sure your new destination doesn't have an LA Fitness local! ;)
  • Say you've lost your job and physically cannot afford it. Or you could freeze the account, I know Fitness First will let you do that

I just looked on the LA Fitness website and it looks like you still have to pay to freeze your account: http://www.lafitness.co.uk/freeze-request.asp

Fitness First only has a 3 month minimum contract. That's my gym and I must admit, I like that I can get out anytime! :cool:
  • i wanted to cancel my Next Generation membership and was told that i had to give 3 months notice. I was told i could get out of that if i was moving away and didnt have a Next Generation near the new place.

They needed a letter so i asked my boss if he minded me writing a note on headed paper saying i was being transferred to Spain at the end of the month!

It worked and i got it out of it straight away :)
    Give it a go.
  • HAVEFAITH
    HAVEFAITH Posts: 557 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    I'm not liking what i read here Re LA Fitness .... they have screwed by taking monies from my account when they said otherwise. i.e. 1 month early. Lets see what happens first. However the google search reviews arn't inspiring.
    "onwards & upwards"
  • ESB-UK
    ESB-UK Posts: 1 Newbie
    i cancelled my gym membership by pretending to have an injury, I got a doctors note explaining this from this website http://www.doctorsnotestore.com/gym_membership_contract_cancellation_doctors_letter.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure