Medical Trials... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

This is a special discussion as part of the

article, all about

Taking part in medical trials

which is part of the Work, work, work section

Please feel free to add your comments, suggestions or questions
Just click reply

Comments

• After them people had a trial done and there heads doubled in size, I'd rather be skint
    Live for what tomorrow has to bring, not what yesterday has taken away
  • I'm looking to up my income and have considered Drug trials but a bit scared of ending up with my head as big as a pumpkin.
    Anyone tried them or do you think they are far too risky?:confused:
  • Choose them carefully: you will receive plenty of information when you go to "sign up": do not EVER do a "first in man" trial:it's exactly what it says, never been given to a human. It was this kind of trial which nearly killed 4 people in Harrow a couple of years ago (it was all over the news), although it's really rare, I wouldn't take the risk.

Other trials where they have already some data in man (the more the better)are usually a much better bet. Remember you are paid for the inconvenience and procedures you have to undergo, not degree of risk!
  • I know somebody who used to do these at a large parmaceutical company. He said it was the easiest money he ever earne, sitting round watching tv, playing playstations etc etc and only taking a couple of pills per day.

There's very little risk of harm but I would still consider this carefully before making a decision.
  • talana
    talana Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    Hi,
    I've taken part in trials before and would have no hesitation doing so again.
    Apart from the regular medical monitoring, you are basically just relaxing. I spent my time reading, listening to music, watching TV, catching up on a bit of work even! And you're paid pretty well for your inconvenience.

Everyone always quotes the one trial where their heads "swelled up like pumpkins". Of course this made the news because it was exceptional, nobody ever quotes the thousands of trials carried out every year with no safety issues at all!
    By the same rationale, if you see a major plane crash in the news would you decide never to fly again? Probably not, as you know how uncommon accidents like that are. In short, you weigh the risk. We do this in everyday life all the time.

Personally, I'd happily take part in first-in-man trials as well. Not for everyone perhaps, but they make sure you're fully informed of what you're signing up to and it's down to everyone to make their own INFORMED decision.

If you're thinking about drug trials, I'd suggest registering with an appropriate company anyway. Then go along to a registration day and talk to them. Hopefully they can allay your concerns and if not then you've lost maybe an hour of your time tops.
    At a registration you'll generally have a medical (so a free medical checkup even if you decide not to sign up!) and then they'll contact your GP for a report. Only if you're fully fit and healthy anyway will they take it further.

Then each study that comes along, you'll be sent the full briefing information if you're eligible and meet the criteria. There's certainly no obligation to choose the first study that comes your way or any other one (chuck the briefing away if you're not interested).

If you have any other questions about trials, feel free to ask.
  • Can you recommend a company?
    I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something
  • talana
    talana Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    Can you recommend a company?

Hi,
    It all depends very much on where you live of course.
    I'm in the East Midlands, and I would recommend Astra Zeneca who have a drug trials suite at the Queens Medical Centre in Nottingham. They have a centre in Manchester too.

Their website will at least give you an idea what's involved.
    http://www.healthyvolunteers.com/default.asp
  • I know there have been threads about this before, but i am currently doing (at this very minute) a medical trial at Covance in Leeds. I checked in on Tuesday afternoon and have had a great time. They will only be giving us the drug tomorrow so for one and a half days i will have watched DVD's, used the internet, played video games, read the paper etc.

I was really apprehensive to start with but everyone is so friendly. It is 4 nights now, then 3 in March and 3 in April and for that i get over £1500. It's money for old rope.

Just thougth this might help someone to decide if they were in two minds about signing up.
  • V_Chic_Chick
    V_Chic_Chick Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    Anyone the remember North Park (?) hospital medical trials fiasco? No thanks.
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Should be an interesting discussion...

I looked at these for ages and actually went for the pre trial medical for one, but no matter what picture they paint in the brochure, I can't help but think the place looked like a nut house.....

Add to that the trial that (very publically) went wrong and I just wouldn't risk my health for £100 a night...

If you can bear to do it though, like you said £100 a night for sitting around watching films / surfing MSE...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure