PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheapest way to buy chicken

hulahoop09
hulahoop09 Posts: 689 Forumite
edited 28 September 2012 at 10:14AM in Old style MoneySaving
Hiya

We use quite a bit of chicken as this is the main meat my husband likes and as our daughter (11 months old) has milk protein intolerance she basically has a meat potato and veg diet :D I am finding it difficult on a strict budget and was wondering what the cheapest way to buy chicken is? We dont have a butchers nearby (and dont drive) so I tend to buy from asda or farmfoods.We use it for curry, chicken dinner, marinaded chicken etc etc

Any advice qould be welcome
July 2013 wins: Lilac Skoot, Night out for 2 at Nandos & Cineworld
Best wins so far: £500, GHD styler, Tassimo T40 Machine

Comments

• Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I'd love to be able to afford free range chicken, but I can't :( I find the cheapest is Tesco Frozen 'Everyday' Chicken breasts. Alternatively their 'discount brand' are on offer and cheaper, so keep your eye out.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • sonastin
    sonastin Posts: 3,210 Forumite
    aldi do whole chickens pretty cheap. I find its easier to get all the meat off it if I cook it in the slow cooker.
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    I rate aldi whole chook -its just over £2 a kg. I also buy skinless bone in thighs from the asian shop for £2.60 kg and these a great - very little waste and the bones get stashed for stock
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • I second aldi, and also Halal chicken in mr T is sometimes cheaper than their own brand. Also if you have a turkish/indian etc supermarket around they do really cheap chickens, can pick a full decent sized chicken from around £2.20!

HTH

TFE
    xxx
    I have enough money to last me the rest of my life......until I go and buy something!
    :D
  • Eliza_2
    Eliza_2 Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I third Aldi, their free range chickens are good but even their normal chicken is red tractor so not as bad as it could be.
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    You can buy a bigggg bag of Sainsbobs basics frozen chicken portions for around £4 or ASDA ones (smaller bag) for about £1.60,you get breast,thigh & drummers,I usually have a breast portion & drummer for Sunday dinner & de-bone what I need for curries.
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Aldi F/R are £4.99 each, half the price of Tesco.
  • Thanks. At the moment I buy asda SP chicken fillets for £3.99 I think but some months I can be buying 4 packs! Lol.
    July 2013 wins: Lilac Skoot, Night out for 2 at Nandos & Cineworld
    Best wins so far: £500, GHD styler, Tassimo T40 Machine
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    edited 25 September 2012 at 2:35PM
    Agree with all that has said so far(I only have access to Tesco's unless I go out of town)but adding bus/taxi fares to the cost defeats the idea of ssaving money on food or getting more for my money. So if I want a full chicken I have to go for their Everyday Value Range. When Aldi's open here I may have more choice.

TBH we do have a Heron's so perhaps there could be something I have missed.

A quick scout around ASDA and Sainbury's rare for me(but I had a bus ticket giving unlimited journeys across the week)and they seemed ok.

I guess price is also governed by whether you are buying "Fresh" chickens or frozen. Also, whether you buy cheaper cuts(Thighs, drumsticks or breast)

I did a quick search on the net a few weeks ago and it's big business buying in bulk and having it delivered(reputable company)and seemed reasonable but it's the initial outlay of spending a big amount and then needing a freezer to store it all.

Be great if yiu could get together with others and share the cost.

I've been looking at food coops but again around my area they are rare, I'd still have to travel to them(none on my town)and they only do fruit and veg.

Some in other areas miles away do more and work with local dairies and farms increasing the range available.

In time perhaps this may improve and give another option over supermarkets...every town should have one...It could help those on low wages/benefits, those who are ill/retired on a meagre pension.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    spike7451 wrote: »
    You can buy a bigggg bag of Sainsbobs basics frozen chicken portions for around £4 or ASDA ones (smaller bag) for about £1.60,you get breast,thigh & drummers,I usually have a breast portion & drummer for Sunday dinner & de-bone what I need for curries.

Like spike, I buy this

005998.jpg

from Sainsbury's. It works at about £1.60 per kg which is about as cheap as it gets. I mostly use the pieces for casseroles but there are sometimes some huge pieces which will make a small roast for two with lashings of veg and gravy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure