Items you no longer buy due to increase in price??

Options
1234568»

Comments

• mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    Lurpak spreadable! Love it, but refuse to pay the full price for it. Started buying Tesco's value range. Took a wee while to get used to, but now we all enjoy it.

Toiletries - I only buy when they are on BOGOF or other similar offer, especially my L'Oreal Shampoo and conditioner. Refuse to pay almost £4 a bottle of it.

Brand name Cereals - Gotta be kellogs cornflakes. But the choc flavoured can be any brand, my DS doesn't mind

Ketchup and Sauces - Used to buy HP and Heinz. Now it's the cheapest. They seem to go through just as much of it.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    EGGS used to be a cheap staple , the price of even the value ones is ridiculous now , so I only buy things like eggs and bacon occasionally

Fish fingers used to be THE cheap and cheerful kiddies food but they have gone up alot now

Bread I use coupons or from the reduced section

Passatta instead of tinned toms , have cut down on beans , so looks like a proper fry up is a luxury now! lol

Meat is ridiculous in price so I buy the value frozen chicken and look out for offers , same with cheese

Price of butter is ridiculous and it sells out quickly if it goes to even £1 a pack , but I still love a bit of butter , just don't like paying over the odds for it

Things like coconut milk or creamed coconut for a nice curry the prices have soared for some reason

Toilet roll is expensive now since they've started doing the value jumbo rolls which I hate so usually pay £2.50 for a pack of 9 quality brand now..

Milk I use value skimmed UHT which is fine

I don't buy biscuits any more

I think alot of the ''cupboard stuff'' has gone up in price as you can still get good cheap fruit and veg from the markets but I miss good quality meat most of all ( Good thing my DD hasn't given up her trip to the butchers so I get spolit rotten when I visit her! ;) )
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Same here Cazza...only buy Lidl bread 89p when reduced 30% (lucky this time... fresh) or Kingsmill 50/50 from Heron £1 minus 30p coupon. Freeze if space.
    With the price of meat seriously considering going vegetarian. Enough protein in all the yogurt and cheese I eat. No more greasy pans.
  • the_cat
    the_cat Posts: 2,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dorsetlady wrote: »
    I've stopped buying the jars of tomato pasta sauce like Ragu and Dolmio. Dolmio is £2.33 a jar now which is a ridiculous price.

I buy the Lidl version which is imo much nicer. On offer next weekend too at half price - 37p a jar!:T:T
  • Rebob
    Rebob Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I switched to doing the main bulk of my shopping at aldi. I get the odd thing I cannot buy there from tesco and while there I look and see if there is anything reduced. The main things we get branded are tea bags, Yorkshire Tea but stock up on offer, deoderant which I get from savers or wilkinsons using staff discount and worcester sauce which just has to be the real stuff. I cook most things from scratch as I am not keen on chicken nuggets etc and ready meals as they dont fill a corner with ds and dh and neither are impressed with the taste.
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!! :T :T :T
  • Waynoo
    Waynoo Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    Lidl eggs went up to 1.19 from 85p. Havent had them since.
  • Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Waynoo wrote: »
    Lidl eggs went up to 1.19 from 85p. Havent had them since.

Thanks, never even looked as I've been trying not to buy any eggs.
    99p per 1/2 dozen is my limit and I'll have to look around.

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mazza111 wrote: »
    Lurpak spreadable! Love it, but refuse to pay the full price for it. Started buying Tesco's value range. Took a wee while to get used to, but now we all enjoy it.

Toiletries - I only buy when they are on BOGOF or other similar offer, especially my L'Oreal Shampoo and conditioner. Refuse to pay almost £4 a bottle of it.

Brand name Cereals - Gotta be kellogs cornflakes. But the choc flavoured can be any brand, my DS doesn't mind

Ketchup and Sauces - Used to buy HP and Heinz. Now it's the cheapest. They seem to go through just as much of it.

i hate it when im offered corn flakes that arent kellogs but since weve been cutting costs i did try the boxed asda cornflakes and they do taste as nice as kellogs but a lot cheaper in fact we only use asda for these and their smart price midget gems and their deluxe bierre when they have any
    lynsey farmfoods corn on the cobs taste better than our allotment ones im afraid to admit,give a quid for a bag tomorrow and try them
  • meercatsunited
    Options
    we buy mostly organic since illness but usually have to buy it when its at its sell by date and reduced in price.

used to buy carton organic tomatoes but they went from 57p to 89p.

stopped buying normal deodorant over 2 years ago and bought the natural crystal from holland and barrett, yes expensive at £5 but its lasted over 2 years and still being used, and there are no nasties to penetrate the skin.
    :cool: Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age.
    Sometimes age just shows up all by itself ;)

In the end, it's not the years in your life
    that count....it's the life in your years :D
  • shoperholicnot
    shoperholicnot Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 April 2012 at 10:30PM
    Options
    Fairy liquid..only buy when on offer now,after their 25% price hike

Butter, only buy very rarely now.

Feix as good as it looks, at nearly £5 a box its taking the mick...only gets bought when on offer now, otherwise they eat whiskas lol

Heinz soups

Most biscuits..will only buy whats on offer now.
    have you seen the price of a cheap pack of fig rolls these days? jeez

Bread, try to only buy when reduced.

shampoos conditioners toothpaste etc, only when on offer and stock up

Dont buy cleaning products anymore, use ecloths and stardrops, a bit of bleach for loo and maybe some pine for floors
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure