How much to get married in your district?

My closest registry office is Richmond upon Thames, and they want to charge between £130 - £330 for the venue, and then another £330 - £495 for the Registration officers, depending on what day you get married.

That does not include the fee for notices or anything.:eek:

We are having a wedding / reception at an unlicensed venue so need to get legally married beforehand. How can I do this in an MSE way? A celebrant is costing us almost £400.

Any pointers?

Comments

• tincat
    tincat Posts: 935 Forumite
    Our next closest office is Kingston, which is much cheaper - between £75 - 120 depending on the day.

As we live in Richmond borough, can we register there to do the legal bit in Kingston?
  • johannalf88
    johannalf88 Posts: 2,827 Forumite
    I have just had a quick google, (bcos it did seem a bit much) and it is £130 mon- thurs including room at the registry office. So if u r having a celebrant get married during the week at the office. Look under the spring terrace fees. It does include registrars and room. It is normal for notice not to be included, as people often give that at a different borough (has to be where you live.)

The £330-349 is only if you are not doing it in the registry iffice but at a licences venue- like hotel etc.

Hth.
    :T
  • tincat
    tincat Posts: 935 Forumite
    Ah, thanks - somehow I thought I read that you had to pay for the room AND then for the registration officers.

I can breathe a bit more easily:p
  • johannalf88
    Ok- next question! :)

U give notice in the borough that you live in. So that would be Richmond (set at £33 ish each). You then arrange the registrars with the Kingston office completely separately. But need to provide the document u get from Richmond before they will actually marry you!
  • cepheus
    cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
    Cost of a wife, a couple of million at least?
  • johannalf88
    Nah- cheaper compared to dating at least! :rotfl: :money:

And don't forget the maid/ housekeeper that you would have to hire to tidy up... :rotfl:
  • Olokia
    Olokia Posts: 905
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I just paid £503.50 this morning to get married in my area. Already paid the £70ish pounds last year to give notice.
  • Brightside
    Brightside Posts: 217 Forumite
    It's about £200 for us for room, notices and registrar at the local council offices.

If we limited it to six guests and married before lunchtime mon-fri, that would drop to about £120.
    When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle.

:whistle:
  • ellay864
    ellay864 Posts: 3,827
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There's so much variety. In both Cheshire East and Cheshire West it's £43.50 to get married in the registry office and makes no difference as to what day you get married on.
    But for going to a licensed venue, the cost for just the ceremony, without venue itself, varies with Cheshire West from £272 - £338. In Cheshire East they vary from £400 - £620 or a whopping £830 for a Christmas Day or Boxing Day wedding :eek:
  • stassy23
    stassy23 Posts: 404 Forumite
    in cornwall we are getting married on a friday at the register office it is £80.50 and to give notice we paid £33.50 each
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure