PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Joints of beef in the slow cooker

Got two joints of beef reduced in my local supermarket today. I've searched the mega-index for recipes (theres not alot on there for joints of beef) and wondered if any of you could recommend a recipe? How do I cook the beef on its own? How much water do i add ? Do I need to add anything other than water?

I'm new to the slow cooker, only had it a week or so and todays the first time Ive had chance to use it - Got some ham broth in there at the minute.

I'm open to any suggestions at all. One joint is topside and the other silverside.

As a newbie Id appreciate your advice,

Karen x

Comments

• wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    I usually bung mine in with onions, carrots and a generous splash of red wine, then let it cook all day, then remove the meat, transfer juice to saucepan and thicken into gravy with cornflour just before serving. The meat comes out so tender we just pull it apart with 2 forks - no chance of carving it. I've also cooked joints of meat with nothing added whatsoever.

Jules
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi studentnurse.

When I do beef in the SC, I just season it as normal then put it in with about 1 inch of water as I love to make a nice beefy gravy at the end.

Some people don't put water in or add an onion to the water, to make the gravy richer. It's personal preference, so trial and error is your best bet - you will like it done differently from others.

HTH
  • Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of the beef cooked in red wine.
    How long would I have to cook this for? I'm wanting to leave it cooking all day whilst Im out at work.
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Substitute red wine for water - it will be fine. Leave it on all day on low.

You may find that sealing the meat in a hot frying pan will be more to your taste. I have done it both ways ie sealing it or just putting it in the pot 'raw'. Again, it's a matter of taste. The thing is, you will have your SC for years so you will have to experiment a few times first before you find out which way suits you best. There isn't really a 'wrong' way IMO :D
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    I put mine on at 7.30am before I leave for work, on the medium setting (not High, not Warm), and it's perfect when I get in at 6.00pm. I even put in chops and diced meat straight from the freezer and it's fine.

Jules
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Got two joints of beef reduced in my local supermarket today. ... wondered if any of you could recommend a recipe? How do I cook the beef on its own? How much water do i add ? Do I need to add anything other than water?

I'm new to the slow cooker, only had it a week or so and todays the first time Ive had chance to use it - Got some ham broth in there at the minute.

I'm open to any suggestions at all. One joint is topside and the other silverside.

Welcome Karen :hello:

I think I might be too late for your immediate enquiry :(

For future reference, I bought two HUGE beef joints from Sainsbury's earlier this year (great bargains!) and put them both into the SC. No water or stock or fluid of *any* kind!

Just as well, because the juices which came from the joints really filled up any available space in the SC!!!!

Silverside and topside can be cooked in pretty much the same way, so there isn't a need to distinguish when it comes to slow cooking - they will both come out very well!

I cooked mine, overnight on a LOW setting (approx 8 - 10hrs) and they were literally soft as butter in a heatwave! These were large-for-us joints of meat. However, once they had both cooled they firmed up a tad (which was great for my preference when it comes to slicing ;) )

If you could give us some idea of weight, that would help because (obviously?) the weight of those joints would make a difference in how long you would/should cook them for - yes, even in a slow cooker. ;)
    Did you plan to cook them both in the SC at the same time? Or, individually?
    Were you planning to eat them immediately, or to eat some, freeze the rest?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • I'm cooking one of the joints today so thanks for all the advice. The meat is 0.920 kg. I've added about an inch of water (as reccomended) as Im a bit wary of not putting any fluid in with it. I've put it on auto and I'm hoping it'll be ready about 6ish? I hadnt thought of cooking them both together and the other joints still in the freezer, wish Id seen your post a bit sooner queenie !

Karen x
  • I normally buy the packets labelled 'Stewed beef', that is it's for stewing and dice it up, and fry it with 2 onions. Then I put them in the slow cooker with lots of sliced raw carrots, potatoes cut into small chunks, and boiling hot water to cover all veg. I also break up a cube of Beef Stock into it.

I leave it on low, if leaving from morning till dinner time, or auto if from lunch to dinner.

It comes out really gorgeous, and tender. You can also add mushrooms to it.

I haven't tried putting in a whole joint though....

You'll find that buying beef for stewing will be cheaper than other joints. I cut away any fatty bits anyway, and as it's slowly cooked, it's still very tender.
  • Hi I bought my Slow cooker and used it for the first time on Saturday. I did some stewing beef with lots of raw chopped up veggies.about 1/2 pint of bisto powdered gravy mixed in cold water over the top. I also chucked in some Mushrooms as well.It went on at 9.30 a.m. and was dished up at about 8.00 p.m whilst watching X-factor. Brilliant meal and sooooo simple.
    I have got a bad arm after falling last week, and it's in bandages, so I am a bit stuck for doing much in the way of cooking. My sis-in-law came to stay on Friday to help look after me and she is so impressed that she is going to buy one when she gets home. We cooked a Liver and bacon casserole yesterday all day and last night seperated it up into three dishes, and when col,d froze it. It means that I can have three cooked meals without too much effort on my part when ever I want .my stitches don't come out until next Monday so I need easy to prepare meals. I can't wait until I'm better to have a go at a chilli or a curry. I got it from Argos and it was reduced to £11.49 and it's the best money I have ever spent. Only one bowl to wash up afterwards as well. Fantasic I am totally hooked on slow-cooking
  • Tip: If you use just boiled hot water, it quickens the cooking process and you use less electricity. The food starts cooking straight away, instead of having to wait for the water to warm up.

JackieO wrote:
    Hi I bought my Slow cooker and used it for the first time on Saturday. I did some stewing beef with lots of raw chopped up veggies.about 1/2 pint of bisto powdered gravy mixed in cold water over the top. I also chucked in some Mushrooms as well.It went on at 9.30 a.m. and was dished up at about 8.00 p.m whilst watching X-factor. Brilliant meal and sooooo simple.
    I have got a bad arm after falling last week, and it's in bandages, so I am a bit stuck for doing much in the way of cooking. My sis-in-law came to stay on Friday to help look after me and she is so impressed that she is going to buy one when she gets home. We cooked a Liver and bacon casserole yesterday all day and last night seperated it up into three dishes, and when col,d froze it. It means that I can have three cooked meals without too much effort on my part when ever I want .my stitches don't come out until next Monday so I need easy to prepare meals. I can't wait until I'm better to have a go at a chilli or a curry. I got it from Argos and it was reduced to £11.49 and it's the best money I have ever spent. Only one bowl to wash up afterwards as well. Fantasic I am totally hooked on slow-cooking
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure