HSBC Introduce “safe custody” charge.

Options
HSBC wrote to me many months ago stating that they would introduce “some time in the future” a “safe custody charge” for investments they held on my behalf. I hold only one investment (a unit trust) with HSBC and they have just made their first bi-annual “safe custody charge” for this investment. This investment has NO paper hard-copy share certificate associated with it. The investment is held on the HSBC computer system which has now started making this arbitrary “safe custody charge” on my HSBC account. Is this legal? Can I have this charge stopped and re-claim the one charge so far made by HSBC? Any help gratefully received!

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tell them that you longer wish them to hold your investments and that they should return them to you.
    Are you sure that they do not hold any paper certificates or something else on your behalf?
  • tom188
    tom188 Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    Options
    Is it for holding the investments that underlie the unit trust? The shares/bonds will have to be held by a custodian somewhere and they will be charging the fund for this. HSBC may now be passing on this charge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure