Radiator reflector panels - most effective

Does anyone know of a reasonably cheap place to buy good quality radiator reflector panels (the PVC ones coated in aluminium).

I haven't seen them in my local B&Q or Homebase.

Comments

• moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You can actually make these yourself very cheaply.

You need a sheet of cardboard slightly smaller than the radiator, some of those polystyrene ceiling tiles and some tin foil.

I've made these very successfully in the past when we lived in a mobile home and all the heating was going straight through the wall. I might just make a few again and see if I can cut my currently high bills down a bit :(
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • I got mine at screwfix.com and pretty cheap for a big roll done 5 radiators
    A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    El sabio muda el consejo, el necio no.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    moggins wrote:
    You can actually make these yourself very cheaply.

You need a sheet of cardboard slightly smaller than the radiator, some of those polystyrene ceiling tiles and some tin foil.

I've made these very successfully in the past when we lived in a mobile home and all the heating was going straight through the wall. I might just make a few again and see if I can cut my currently high bills down a bit :(

Thanks, moggins!!! I shall get the kids to "help" make these (be a good chance to recap with them on energy saving too :D )
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Glad I could help, the turkey foil that we always have left over after christmas works best as it's wider and you have to remember to have the shiny side facing out :D
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • The makeshift foil solution might work for a few days but will quickly loose its reflective properties. I have found a product that is better that all ones that are currently stocked in diy stores and according to its British Board of Agrement certificate it will last up to 60 years. I found it on a energy research site.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    moggins wrote: »
    Glad I could help, the turkey foil that we always have left over after christmas works best as it's wider and you have to remember to have the shiny side facing out :D

.........and when the radiator gets hot you get a wonderful smell of roasting turkey !:D
  • Rokko wrote: »
    The makeshift foil solution might work for a few days but will quickly loose its reflective properties. I have found a product that is better that all ones that are currently stocked in diy stores and according to its British Board of Agrement certificate it will last up to 60 years. I found it on a energy research site.

Would it be possible for you to provide more info, I've tried to find the info myself but failed miserably. :confused: Any help would be great.
  • she_grinch
    she_grinch Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    mbspuk wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a reasonably cheap place to buy good quality radiator reflector panels (the PVC ones coated in aluminium).

I haven't seen them in my local B&Q or Homebase.
    My Homebase sells them, they are in the plumbing aisle, also on the homebase website you find it under radiator accessories called reflectafoam.
    Pucker up and kiss it Whoville! - The Grinch:kiss:
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    This thread smells not of Turkey but spam!

Slight gap of TWO years between posting and reply by Rokko :rolleyes:

Quote ... but will quickly loose its reflective ......... NO !

Save money , use the Turkey foil. Yes Its sold in Homebase/BQ etc but the amount using of energy saved /against cost is not viable.
  • Rokko wrote: »
    The makeshift foil solution might work for a few days but will quickly loose its reflective properties. I have found a product that is better that all ones that are currently stocked in diy stores and according to its British Board of Agrement certificate it will last up to 60 years. I found it on a energy research site.

That's a pretty non useful post

It would have been nice if you said what the product was called or where to buy it from.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure