PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do you stop a Christmas cake from burning?

2»

Comments

• Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    And I royal iced it, and did most of the decoration on it too.

But I ran out of time, so had to buy an emergency sugar paste bouquet to go on the top :o
    Here I go again on my own....
  • looby75
    looby75 Posts: 23,387 Forumite
    Becles wrote:
    And I royal iced it, and did most of the decoration on it too.

But I ran out of time, so had to buy an emergency sugar paste bouquet to go on the top :o

OMG I've seen how much work goes into a wedding cake! My auntie makes them for other people as a hobby and she spends hours and hours on them, but she hasn't got the extra stress of organising a whole wedding too!

Well done to you for even getting as far as baking it, never mind the rest of the decorating you did lol!
  • C1aire
    C1aire Posts: 273 Forumite
    I just caught sight of this post out of the corner of my eye. Now I keep running the tune "how do you solve a problem like Maria?" through my brain, but changing the lyrics to "how do you stop a christmas cake from burning?"

I obviously need a break...
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.
  • looby75
    C1aire wrote:
    I just caught sight of this post out of the corner of my eye. Now I keep running the tune "how do you solve a problem like Maria?" through my brain, but changing the lyrics to "how do you stop a christmas cake from burning?"

I obviously need a break...

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

You've got me doing it now too! It's scarily how well the words fit LOL
  • sallywl
    sallywl Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Bf used brown paper and it worked v well, his mum told him to use a skewer to check centre its done when it comes out and its not cakey, it may be a little moist because of fruit.
  • looby75
    my ds is off school with an ear infection and has just asked me when we are going to eat the newspaper cake, lol

(he saw me wrapping the paper round the tin before I put it in the oven)
  • maypole
    maypole Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I put two layers of greaseproof paper inside the cake tin sides and base and two layers of brown paper on the outside of the tin. Put a greasproof paper lid on top of the cake at the beginning of cooking or near the end if you think the top will burn. There is a scientific reason why you should not keep opening the oven door when the cake is cooking. My cake was in for 4 1/2 hours on a low heat and I only checked it after 4 hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure