Comet-guarantee-

Hi- any advice on the following would be great. I'll try to be brief but accurate.
We Bought an LG USA style fridge/freezer from Comet in March 2007. Decided to buy extended guarantee, however item is still under manufacturers guarantee.
November it developed a fault although still working. Comet sent an engineer (the usual "any time between 8-6 O'Clock") who then ordered a part. Later in Dec a different engineer visited (between 8-6!) with the part but on starting to fit it, gave up as the part was either incorrect or it wouldn't alone fix the problem. :confused: So, he arranged for another part to be ordered. On the day the engineer was due (between 8-6) we received a call cancelling the engineer :mad: , they decided it was more economical to replace the fridge freezer. We then received a letter from comet stating we were authorised to ‘have a replacement product of the same or equivalent specification’. We purchased the item in a sale for £449 (bargain) with an extended warranty purchased £150 for 5 years and a £50 delivery charge.

Hope your still with me –we additionally had confirmation of our entitlement in a phone call to comet- replacement despite any price difference.

A visit to the Comet store- the same fridge was no longer available. The same specification fridge by LG was however with a slightly remodelled front and handles but same specification as checked on the website. Now at a price of £799 and one digit up in the model number! The store manager was not prepared to replace the product unless we paid the difference!! As I said this must happen often with sale products since they are generally end of range additionally manufacturers replace products quite frequently.

Has this happened to anyone out there? What was your outcome? I will be writing to Comet (I will not let this rest) so has anyone got any advice as to what to say/quote? Additionally can I claim re-imbursement for loosing a days holiday. If they had cancelled the day before rather than on the morning of the intended engineers visit I could have worked the day and not lost a holiday day.

Any Q’s I’ll answer ASAP. Please help.
Thank you

p.s- i have all paper work. If i decide to have a refund, which was indicated in the store what happens about my extended warranty of £150 and delivery £50. I presume i've lost the delivery cost.
Chrissie

:coffee:

Must save time as well as money!

Comments

• I would contact their customer services, sound like the store manager is having a bad sale period.

Was the original new or was it reduced for any reason?.
  • would lg not replace it .
    I bought a fridge freezer from currys went wrong within 3 months ( a hotpoint) hotpoint replaced it direct through them my model was discontinued and they send a better one free. just an idea
    If you like what I wrote
    please click the thankyou box :T
  • Spanking Brand new- not even a showroom exhibit. Thanks - I will try LG as well.

I only purchased the extended warranty from comet because the fridge was such a good price. The lady gave me 3 months interest free. At the time I remember warning bells ringing- all the stuff that was on watchdog about ext. guarantees and post here. I thought just this once it seemed invaluable! Haven't really even got to that period yet!

Keep posting any ideas and i will keep adding my progress. All i want is a replacement and my extended guarantee to continue with the new product with free delivery. Morally, i think that's right- at the end of the day if my fridge hadn't developed a fault I would be in that position so I'm not asking them for any extras or favours!
    xx:easter_os - have you seen the shop shelfs now!!!! This should be outlawed. Valentines card are for sale already!
    Chrissie

• MINCER_2
    MINCER_2 Posts: 406 Forumite
    Ring up whichever department sent you the Comet letter and ask them to send you one from the warehouse - cut out the local store altogether. If they quibble about the model - put the ball in their court and tell them to find you one to the same spec.
    I had the same problem with Comet over a Washing Machine a while back. First they tried to fob me off with a white one to replace a silver one and then a 1200 speed instead of a 1400.
    All the World is a Stage; and I'm going through a difficult one at the moment!
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you hadn't purchased an extended warranty, you would be negotiating this with the manufacturer. I am not sure why you cannot do so in any case ... your manufacturer's warranty isn't eliminated by you taking the extended warranty.

But obviously Comet should also match the extended warranty term on the replacement item, so I suppose that is a worthwhile reason for making them sort it out.

I can't see any good reason for you to accept a refund; indeed, I'm surprised if Comet are even offering that.
  • eslick
    eslick Posts: 2,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This happened to us, you have to stand your ground make as much noise as possible with whoever you speak to, try the phone they will probably order it for you over the phone anyway and when it happened for us it was easier to do that than speak to the store.

A word of warning comet buy the manufactures warranty so when you buy the product from them you cant get the manufacturer to come out. We bought a hotpoint dishwasher it had a special warranty that if it broke in the first 6o days (i think) they would replace it no matter what. Guess what happened when ours broke, Hotpoint wouldnt help and Comet just wanted to fix it until I told them I was hoing to the small claims court. Sorry rant over.
  • coolagarry
    coolagarry Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    OOPs.. I've just bought a us style fridge/freezer from Comet. (Hope I don't have the same probs).

Two Things.

All LG Fridge Freezers come with a 2yrs guarantee from LG
    http://gb.lgservice.com/gcsc/b2c/hpi/main
    so perhaps you should contact them

Sorry the link doesn't seem to work. this is what is says
    LGE UK Warranty Policy

In the event that you require assistance with any product, please contact the dealer from whom the product was initially purchased

If it is not possible for you to contact your supplying dealer, please contact the LGEUK Customer Support Team.
    It is vital that you have the following information when you call:
      <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">
    Model Number <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Serial Number <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Date and place of purchase
    [*]Nature of your enquiry
    The LGE Customer Support Team can be contacted as follows:
    For all Consumer enquiries
    Line opening hours
    Monday –Friday 09:00 to 20:00,
    Saturday 09:00 to 18:00,
    Sunday 10:00 to 16:00
    Phone
    0870 873 LGLG(5454)
    (National call Rate)
    www.lgelectronics.co.uk, then select “CONTACT US”
    Fax
    0870 872 7337

Warranty Period
    Most products are warranted for a minimum of 12 month, covering parts and labour
    (Subject to conditions as stated in the documentation supplied with the product).
    Some products carry longer warranty periods as detailed in the table below

Product Category
    LGEUK Warranty Period
    TV, VCR, TV/VCR
    12 months
    DVD, Home Cinema Systems
    12 months
    Monitors (LCD & CRT)
    36 months
    LCD TV
    12 months
    Microwaves
    12 months
    Washing Machine, Washer Dryers, Dishwasher
    24 months
    Vacuum Cleaners
    12 months
    Refrigeration
    24 months
    Plasma / DLP
    12 months
    Optical Drives
    24 months
    Air-Conditioning
    Please contact your supplier for details

Extended Warranty
    If your product is covered by an extended warranty,
    you should contact the retailer or insurer from whom the extended warranty was purchased.

Product Purchased outside of the UK
    In case of warranty service being required to product purchased outside of the UK
    and subsequently imported into the UK, please contact our Customer Support Team
    using the contact details shown above.
    We will arrange wherever possible to repair within the UK, but in exceptional circumstances
    It may be necessary to return the product to the country of sale.

Comet are currently selling to fridge /freezer that I bought for £499
    http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=323926
    That may be similar to yours?
    I'm Glad to be here... At my age I'm glad to be anywhere!!
    I'm not losing my hair... I'm getting more head!!
  • Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Did they not state the model number they would replace it with. When our washing machine broke down under the 5 year guarantee they sent us a letter saying we were entitled to a replacement and stated the model number of the replacement we could order. Then we just had to go to our nearest store and order it.
  • Still ongoing. We have reached a dead end with the store.:confused: :mad: My husband is on the phone as I write. They did offer us the one for £499 but ours doesn't have an ice/water dispenser. Whilst it's a good feature for some we need the freezer space that it takes up.
    Thanks all. I'll post soon.
    Chrissie

• jammiev
    jammiev Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    read all about YOUR RIGHTS in this thread!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=681039
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport