Printer which takes cheapest ink?

Comments

• Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    Laser is the way forward if you don't need to print colour. :) (well, colour laser is an option but it's expensive :D)
  • Thanks for all the replies. He has bought a Canon MP460 and it seems very good
  • Lexmark has the most expensive ink. Nonetheless, it works really well and print quality stuff for me all the while.

I think Epson and Canon have the cheapest ink and the most compatible ink available.

HP might be my 3rd choice if given to me.
  • FYI, HP & Lexmark cartridges have integral printheads - that's why they tend to be more expensive.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • Most Canon's now have print head integrated into the cartridge. Buy an epson and then the compatible cartridges off ebay.
  • madmags69
    madmags69 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Hi

I have an epson but we did not use it for two weeks and now the print bed is dry and it will not work again. I have taken it to three diffrent repairers and they say taht epson is the worst because you canno get to the ink bed to sort it out.

best wishes

maggie
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    madmags69 wrote: »
    Hi

I have an epson but we did not use it for two weeks and now the print bed is dry and it will not work again. I have taken it to three diffrent repairers and they say taht epson is the worst because you canno get to the ink bed to sort it out.

best wishes

maggie
    three repairers!!! Printers are a throwaway item. A new one will cost just a little more than the ink required for it and much less than the cost of the time involved and driving it around to three repairers.

Just go to Amazon then order a new one for next day delivery.

Terrible saying it and I'm an IT engineer. I'd much rather repair than replace but it just isn't worth doing.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • metalgal
    metalgal Posts: 320 Forumite
    We have a canon printer but recently i have just used it for printing out black and white stuff for uni, so i use the tesco value refill kit which is only about a fiver. You use the old cartridge and use the tool given to put in a hole then syringe the ink into the cartridge and then put a wee rubber stopper in the hole (tip use the end of the syringe to push it in as its small and fiddly) you get three bottles of ink in the pack and they last absolutely ages. it takes a few minutes and you need to wear gloves and put newspaper down as it can be quite messy, but the money we have saved makes it worth it. AFAIK you can get a colour refill kit as well. So cheap and you wouldn't notice the difference, it fact at time it can be better as you will replace the ink more frequently than if you had to buy expensive cartridges so everything is nice and clear no fading or anything like that. The kits will do almost any ink cartridges.
  • Jennikay
    Jennikay Posts: 258 Forumite
    While this thread is years old - just to point out you don't 'need' a printer at uni. Been at uni two years now without one (though fortunately within a 2 min walk of a library/computer cluster both years...) and I've been fine. It's highly unlikely there'll be a printer emergency at 2am where you can't get to a 24 hour cluster somehow. ;)
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Jennikay wrote: »
    While this thread is years old - just to point out you don't 'need' a printer at uni. Been at uni two years now without one (though fortunately within a 2 min walk of a library/computer cluster both years...) and I've been fine. It's highly unlikely there'll be a printer emergency at 2am where you can't get to a 24 hour cluster somehow. ;)
    Over the at least 3 years you're there it will work out much more expensive than getting your own printer,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure