PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    About foodslicers, i i bought this onefrom argos.

I bought it to slice home baked bread, i find it goes a lot further if i slice it with a food slicer, i am terrible at cutting slices with a knife!
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • lizalloareds
    Options
    £31.84 Spent today this was in Mr A, Lidl, Aldi, Iceland, Farmfoods, Poundstretcher and Butchers
    September GC 30th aug-4th Oct £332.74/£375 NSD 3
    Gc Jan £234.85/200 :(Feb £298.92/280:(March £298.42/£280:( April £270.49/280:) May Gc £351.08/£350 June £300.06/280 July £256.15/£240
    Aug £318.74/£280
  • pixie1980
    Options
    Hi I am a newbie joining this challenge! So hello everybody :) I try to stick to about £60 a week shopping atm but I know we go over this buying the extra bits and pieces. It isn't helped by the fact that my dh cannot return from the co-op with change in his pocket (not that I'm passing the blame or anything obviously). So I am setting my budget at £240 for February and keeping my fingers crossed!x
    Sealed pot challenge 6 - #2027 - I'm surprising myself in November!

GC February 2013 - £0/£240
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    First spend yesterday of £7.40.

Bread and milk (not reduced and only supermarket on my way home yesterday was Sainsbury's, so not cheap either! The rest of the shop was whoopsies including fresh pineapple for 34p each instead of £1.50, pastries for Mr Mooo and some lovely stewing beef for the freezer.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    jedi82 wrote: »
    Good morning, well not really a good morning here (poorly DD2 and just had to pay £370 to fix car with DS1 birthday next week :() and can't get to mrM for the weekly shop and so popped into c0-0p and got some chicken for tea and will hunt about in the cupboards to make something. Will update sig with £7.

Just a quick qeustion too, a few of you have mentioned ham stock. When I cook a gammon in the slow cooker I always throw away the juices cos I think they will be too salty for soup etc. Am I wrong, could I have been using this all this time to make stuff? I can make a gammon last for three dinners (gammon and egg, spag carbonara, chicken and ham pie) but if I can make another too that would honestly make my day (shows how bad I am feeling today lol :rotfl:)

Thanks everyone, Jedi x
    The stock from your gammon will make loely soup, just taste a bit first and if its too salty just add more water. Or a really old trick for removing salt from stockis to cook a batch of potatoes in it first.
    Slimming World at target
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Right, mealplan is made and the shopping list is a work in progress while Mr KB and I are both in the kitchen. Here's the mealplan for the coming week:

Sat - Enchiladas
    Sun - Chicken Supreme with Pasta
    Mon - Black Bean Pork with Noodles
    Tues - Jacket Potatoes with Melee Beans
    Weds - Chilli Con Carne with Wedges
    Thurs - Chicken Curry with Rice
    Fri - Not sure, possibly a bit of a surprise.

The list is going to be a bit bigger than last week, but they will level themselves out. My storecupboard is pretty well stocked but I will need to do a meat shop in the next week or so. :)

Looking forward to the enchiladas tonight, and a night in with a film.

KB xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • lushlifesaver
    Options
    Tonight is the start of a new way in our house - Saturday has been 'date night' for about 5 months but we have decided that 'date nights' will now mean just that. As bf works half days 5 days a week whilst I will be working 9-5 Mon-Fri (he gets Tuesday and Sunday off) our time together will be drastically cut - we usually spend every afternoon together and I go to training with him Mondays and Fridays.

In our bid to stay close we have decided to set a separate 'date budget' which we will alternate paying for :) So now our GC budget runs Sunday-Friday each week. Good news is whatever I buy today which actually last us through a minimum of two weeks! And 'date night' this week is a delivery of pizza care of bf's parents :D

Reckoning to spend about £15 today on lunch things, squash, freezer bits we need for the week, hair gel etc - would usually be annoyed but as they will all last we know it will level out over the week :)

Will be back after my return to update my spends
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • mothershipton
    Options
    can you put me down for £400 for feb, didnt get anywhere near £350.

Ive made a political decision to use our lovely local booths but is a little dearer than other supermarkets for as much as possible, and try and use our greengrocers. The remainder of the shopping will come from morrisons or possibly aldi if i pop in for their central aisle suprises!
    I want to try and do some of the recipes on the front page this month so ill let you know how i get on
    Grocery Challenge Feb 16 £346 /400
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi...planning a visit to lidl later to have a look at the weekend bargains...will get a few bits for a fun tea to celebrate chinese new year...then to think about pancakes and what we are going to do for lent...we try and save a few bob by not having various food such as soup for sunday lunch no chocolate and we try and donate the cash quite fancy shelter this year with the pain and trouble this shower of a government are inflicting on people....um need to sort out with the troops what we are doing

have a great weekend tessa
    onwards and upwards
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 February 2013 at 12:28PM
    Options
    Just popped in to update my signature. Ive had a very good week with YS products. Ive spent £11.64 this week. Got washing powder reduced to half price, then a DTD refund due to them overcharging me. Free milk courtesy of free milk friday, reduced steak x 2, reduced lenor with coupons as well as reduced alpro, and rice milk with coupons again, YS bread, cress, diet coke (8cans for 94p), YS stirfry. Too many bargains this week to mention. I found light brown sugar in HB for 99p which was good as i was going to pay £1.60 in Mr As as this was the cheapest ide seen it. Theres only me so this will keep me going for a few weeks. I will only need bread, yoghurts and fruit ( i never seem to find YS fruit, only the prepacked ones, which are expensive in the first place).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure