Car hire fuel policy should be stopped!

Car hire fuel policy should be stopped!

On reading some of other MSE members posts I've realised a lot of us are being ripped off on the car hire fuel policy abroad.

I have experienced this when hiring a car in Alicante.

I would like to start this thread & others to keep it going to let anyone booking a car aware of the fuel policy some car hire company's use!

It would be great if other MSE members who have lost out on this policy post their experience on here.

It would also be great if other MSE members who use company's with a good fuel policy post on here.

This is not for cheap car hire just the fuel policy!

Examples of Fuel policys;

Arguscarhire below Fuel PolicyPick up full, return empty.Fuel charges are payable at the rental counter.Your vehicle will be supplied with a full tank of fuel and must be returned empty. No refunds will be given for unused fuel. (Suppliers fuel policies change from time to time, please confirm at rental counter)

Auto Europe;

* Petrol first tank is payable locally at time of pick up (tank price is typically €60 or more, depending on the category), client should return the vehicle as empty as possible. Exception: Rentals 3 days or less, credit will be given for fuel left in the vehicle).
* Local toll, highway fees, or travel stickers required by local authorities.

Holiday autos;

On arrival you have two options for fuel: 1) Full - Empty: Pay for a full tank of fuel at a cost of between 45 - 90 eur depending on the size of the car, and return the vehicle empty. No refunds will be given for unused fuel. 2) Full - Full: a fuel deposit 45 - 90 eur depending on the size of the car, and return the car full.

Also in another section;

Fuel: a deposit is often payable for fuel and is usually refunded if the car is returned with a full tank. Fuel policies vary. Please check when you pick up your car

So you don't know if you're going to have option 1 or 2 until you get there?

Comments

• mobby-2554
    mobby-2554 Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Here are some examples from other MSE members;

Complete and total rip off. Paid in UK but at airport desk was surcharged €14 for diesel and €35 for some additional tyre/window insurance (told not optional). Also they have a full to empty fuel policy (you pay for a full tank no matter what you use) so that's €51 gone west before you start. Here's a challenge for you - how many times can you drive round Gran Canaria in a Seat Leon on a full tank of diesel?? From my experience you could drive to the moon and back! I used about a gallon in a week.

I really need your help. We're going to Spain for just 4 days at the end of Oct and have hired a car. However, their policy states that we have to pay for a full tank of fuel on arrival (approx 50-80 Euros). We're really annoyed about this as there's no way we'll get through that amount of fuel in 4 days. It also probably means that we're paying over the odds for the fuel! :mad: However, having looked at other comparison sites, this seems to be the case for most of them. Does anyone know of a reputable car hire company that doesn't do this?

Regarding Spain car hire...Sometimes ya win..sometimes ya don't. I try to check into the gas policey BEFORE I book because they sure can rip you off down there with that..phew

Please remember when comparing car hire abroad to check out the fuel policy. We have just returned from 5 days in Spain for which we booked a Ford Fusion via carhire3000 at a very good rate. However when we picked it up we had to pay 85 euros to fill it up with diesel and were told to bring it back empty. This would have meant around 4 hours a day in the car to use it up!! Subsequently we had to return it with 3/4s of a tank left. This meant we were around 60 euros out of pocket and had a very sour taste in our mouths.

This is such a rip off and should be stopped or at least highlighted.

• PolishBigSpender
    PolishBigSpender Posts: 3,771 Forumite
    The old 'IT'S A SCAM' rule applies here too, I think.

If you don't like these practices, don't chase the headline rate, but go with someone that you know operates a practice to your liking. It's no different to Ryanair - the terms and conditions are clearly published, and if you end up paying more - it's only your own fault.

It would only be a scam if you weren't informed beforehand. In my experience, the vast majority of people simply didn't check the terms and conditions before booking.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • mobby-2554
    I am not trying to say 'IT'S A SCAM' at all.

I know it's not a SCAM it is stated in the rental conditions.

You are right we didn't check it because we didn't know about it.

Just trying to highlight the fuel policy so others check before booking.
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I appreciate you pointing out the pit-falls of hiring a car and all the little , sometimes not so little, extras that can make Ryanair extras seem reasonable !!

I explained how to check Holiday Autos fuel policy in your earlier thread, 3 clicks it takes. If HA have 2 cars that appear to be the same but maybe different prices it's because they are sourced from 2 different suppliers and will have differing policies on fuel, excesses and maybe other slight differences.

It started with CDW, then CDW excess insurance, then tyres and glass and now clutch wear cover, all clever ways to keep the "headline" price down, but still make some money. The big boys, Avis, Hertz etc. tend to have full to full policies but their excesses can be as much as 1,000 Euros, which can be waived for around 15 Euros a DAY, so it's swings and roundabouts really.

I have no definate answer as to which company is best, as the goalposts move all the time, so it's a case of check, check and check again.
  • mobby-2554
    http://www.auto-europe.co.uk/index.c...FZgU4woddy1d8A

Just checked this sites Fuel policy;

* Cars are rented with a full tank of fuel for which the client will be charged at time of pick up (approximately €55-€130, depending on vehicle). Cars should be returned as empty as possible. No refund will be given for unused fuel.

Always check before booking!
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ok Mobby, Hertz are actually marketing the full to empty as a convenience !! Quote from their website:

"Hertz rates do not include fuel.
    All Hertz vehicles are rented with a full tank of petrol and must be returned with a full tank or a local refuelling charge will apply.

Fuel Purchase Option (FPO).
    For convenience, you may purchase a tank of fuel from Hertz at the time of rental at a price that is competitive with local fuel stations. This method eliminates the need for you to refill the tank before returning. Please be aware that we are unable to give a refund for unused fuel."
  • mobby-2554
    pompeyrich

Hertz rates do not include fuel.

Please be aware that we are unable to give a refund for unused fuel."

??????
  • khizman
    khizman Posts: 527 Forumite
    If it was me, I just wouldn't change gear and do burnouts to wear the tyres out.

That'll learn em.
  • Just returned from barcelona and hired a car through sixt which appeared to be a good deal but on arrival was told had to pay for a full tank of fuel on a peugoet 308 at 65.4 euros plus 16% vat on a return empty basis. Could not use the full tank and returned it with about have a tank.
  • lorweld
    lorweld Posts: 5,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]
    :hello:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport