New Car Tax rules - tax on pre 2001 car?

Hi All,

With all the hoo-ha about the new car tax rates coming in next year, I keep reading news articles hoping to find out how much it will be for pre-2001 cars, but it never seems to be mentioned!

DH & I both run what most people would term 'old bangers' (well they are both old, but in excellant condition and low-mileage - we can't see the point of getting newer cars if there's nothing wrong with these!) and I want to know if we're going to have a price-hike on both our tax. Due to pending changes in jobs/hours we MAY be able to change to one car between us next year, but I'm trying to work out if this is viable, and the future expenses will affect the decision.

Can anyone help please?

TIA,

FE
The best advice you can give your children: "Take responsibility for your own actions...and always Read the Small Print!"
..."Mind yer a*se on the step!"
TTC with FI - RIP my 2 MC Angels - 3rd full ICSI starts May/June 2009 - BFP!!! Please let it be 'third time lucky'..... EDD 7th March 2010.

Comments

• payless
    payless Posts: 6,956
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Current
    Road tax pre-2001
    Engine size (cc)Annual rate
    1549 and under £120
    Over 1549 £185

but for these pre 2001 cars ( 1/3/2001)

looks like no change in 2009 .. the £185 will rise to £200 in 2010
    but appears the lower £120 will remain that year
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • payless
    Forumite
    Makes an interesting postition will my 2000 gas guzzler now be worth more than a 2001 model ? as tax over 3 yrs

Annual tax - from 2010 £200 - £455 = £255pa cheaper to run

( i did the 2008-2009 figures also but getting conflicting figures from Times & Parkers as to the transitional rates - it could be another £200pa + in those yrs as well )
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • shelene
    shelene Posts: 138 Forumite
    Hi, im in a similar position, i have a 51 reg MG ZS 2.5 V6, does any one know how much car tax will be for this car??
    its due in December!
    my OH wants to sell and get something smaller but this car is really reliable, dont do many miles and worried about getting another 2nd hand car that potentially could have things wrong with it! dont have much money, and cant get finance!
  • payless
    Forumite
    assuming its regsitered after 2001...
    and its the 180ps model ( listed as 227g.. ouch - so close to next band down)

From 2010 itlisted to be £430pa

Times report says £400 this yr, then 415, then £430

Parkers £210 , £300, then £430 ( think this assumes the other 2006 cut off date .. not sure if thats still the case- but would have though they would know- and backed up by AA site
    The Treasury has said but not officially confirmed that cars emitting over 226g CO2/km but bought before Budget 2006 will move into Band K in 2009/10 - and will continue to benefit from a reduced rate, and only in 2010/11 will these cars be placed into the band that corresponds to the car's actual CO2 emissions.

list here http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-buyers-guide/cbg_roadtax.html

parkers calculator http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-tax/
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,343
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    At a guess I do not see these rises coming in at nearly the amounts they are saying at the moment. By the time they are due we will be ready for an election and suprise suprise they will repeal them to try to buy votes (and it will probably work)
    There is no way to justify it as a green tax (even greenpeace dont like it) so they will change "due to being a caring party" LOL at the last min, just as they will the 2p petrol rise later this year.
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • payless
    Forumite
    Post 2006 , top band cars are alreadly ( from 3/08) £400pa
  • Morty_007
    Morty_007 Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    OK, i'm REALLY confused!!

We own 2 renault clios.
    mine is 1.2L TD 2003 and currently road tax costs me £35 a year

DH's is 1996 1.5l petrol whic costs him £120 a year...are these rates going to go up significantly?! I can't find the relevant table to show costs.

TIA
    Mx
    Good Enough Club member number 27(2) AND I got me a stalkee!
    Closet debt free wannabe -[STRIKE] Last personal loan payment - July 2010[/STRIKE]:T, credit card balance about £3000 (and dropping FAST), [STRIKE]Last car payment September 2010 (August 2010 aparently!!)[/STRIKE]
    And a mortgage in a pear tree :D
  • manch235ter
    manch235ter Posts: 985
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    so anything pre 2001 is still banded as 1549 and under £120
    Over 1549 £185? I just taxed my 1.8 diesel p reg mondeo and sure it was more than that?

how the hell are we supposed to do anything about it? I can hardly afford to keep it legally on the road as it is, never be able to change the car if that is what that thief Brown is tying to force me to do
    James thinks worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere

If i help you...Please thank me! :beer:
  • manch235ter
    manch235ter Posts: 985
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    use the parkers car tax calculator quoted in one of the quotes above - spot on
    James thinks worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere

If i help you...Please thank me! :beer:
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    payless wrote: »
    Current
    Road tax pre-2001
    Engine size (cc)Annual rate
    1549 and under £120
    Over 1549 £185

but for these pre 2001 cars ( 1/3/2001)