How to rotate an mp4 video clip?

Comments

• buglawton wrote: »
    Thanks Asus.

For anyone else wanting the quickest solution, I just now used avidemux to convert a mobile phone video that was filmed at portrait angle by accident.

It is a small download, free and does the job entirely stand alone as described above. For an MP4 clip off a Nokia I used:

MPEG-4 ACV in the top box, set to Copy then MP4 in the lower box, then Filter > Transform > Rotate > 90 deg. Click 'Output' in top toolbar (hover mouse over icons to see descriptions) and you see a static preview of the rotated video. Now click the little floppy disk icon to save this output, if it takes 5 mins to process this means it's probably working correctly.

Test playing the output in Quicktime or similar before sending/uploading.

Yep, that software works a treat. Thanks chum. :T
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    And if anyone knows how to successfully stitch either MP4 or MOV files together to make a single longer movie clip using Avidemux (it is supposed to be possible via the APPEND option but I get an unknown error each time) then pray tell!
  • bat999
    bat999 Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi
    Maybe Avidemux is being fussy.
    It will expect the two mp4 files to have the same (or very similar) characteristics. Such as same codecs and bitrates etc.

With Linux I can use a program called MP4Box like this:-
    MP4Box -cat file1.mp4 -add file2.mp4 output.mp4

There's a Windows version of this MP4Box program called YAMB.
    MP4Box doesn't just glue the files together, it re-packages them.

This is a report that I found on a website:-
    I was able to join the files provided using YAMB. Note that the second video file duplicates a few seconds from the end of the first, so that a brief part of the final scene is repeated. Here's what I did:

1) Open YAMB, click the "Editing" button in the sidebar, and double click "Click to join supported files".
    2) Drag "1.mp4" and "2.mp4" into the main window in that order, leaving all streams enabled. Set the output to the same directory as "3.mp4", and click next. Wait for the process to complete and the lowermost-rightmost button to say "Finish".
    3) At this point, you have a fully functional MP4 file ("3.mp4") with original audio sync and no video issues.
    YAMB is from here:-http://yamb.unite-video.com/features.html

(It won't run on Linux systems)
  • buglawton
    Well, YAMB partially works. I tried to concatenate 5 small mp4 clips, it keeps 'losing' some so I get 2 or 3 of the clips in the result, not all. This is after a few tries and double checkings.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    FWIW MP4Cam2AVI seems to happily join mp4 clips:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp4cam2avi/

but the output is avi which may not suit your requirements.
    Stompa
  • buglawton
    My attempt with YAMB resulted in a list being shown with the embedded properties of my MP4 files. Using this info I was able to go back to Avidemux, use the correct options (for example, have to select aac audio) and get a good result!
  • ashmit
    ashmit Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Post
    buglawton wrote: »
    Thanks Asus.

For anyone else wanting the quickest solution, I just now used avidemux to convert a mobile phone video that was filmed at portrait angle by accident.

It is a small download, free and does the job entirely stand alone as described above. For an MP4 clip off a Nokia I used:

MPEG-4 ACV in the top box, set to Copy then MP4 in the lower box, then Filter > Transform > Rotate > 90 deg. Click 'Output' in top toolbar (hover mouse over icons to see descriptions) and you see a static preview of the rotated video. Now click the little floppy disk icon to save this output, if it takes 5 mins to process this means it's probably working correctly.

These instructions are perfect, thank you!
  • buglawton wrote: »
    Thanks Asus.

Excellent. :T
    In the current version 2.5.4 (r7200) you click the "Filters" button on the left, then "Transform" in the pop-up, then "rotate" in the middle pane of the pop-up, then the green plus below it to add that filter to the active section. Choose your angle and click OK. Then if in the right hand pane you click the Rotate word, its background turns blue showing it is selected. THEN the Preview button at the bottom right becomes active and you can see your masterpiece. If it is OK, click the "Close" button to go back to the main screen, from whence you can save it. I have successfully copied as an mp4 and converted to an avi.
  • buglawton
    I found an even easier way since I could not find my own instructions again in the MSE forum!
    And this method works for any video format that Youtube will accept - that's a lot.
    - Upload it to Youtube. There is a no-brains-needed rotate tool.
    Takes some time and will then be published, nicely rotated. Can download it again then.
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    buglawton wrote: »
    I found an even easier way since I could not find my own instructions again in the MSE forum!
    And this method works for any video format that Youtube will accept - that's a lot.
    - Upload it to Youtube. There is a no-brains-needed rotate tool.
    Takes some time and will then be published, nicely rotated. Can download it again then.

Do you lose any quality?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport