PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

old towels and bedding

Comments

• morganlefay
    morganlefay Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I am having a big clearout prior to moving and have discovered a number of really old blankets which I acquired from my parents (so some of them are wartime (1939-45) ones). Not very pretty - some of the are grey - perhaps my Pa's from the army - who knows? They are thick, not motheaten and still servicable, but clearly very old and not at all appealing. I could take them to charity shop - but I wouldn't buy them if in search of blankets. Or I could put them in the fabric recycling bins, but what would you do ? Can anyone think of something more useful or creative I could do with them ?
  • Mags_cat
    Mags_cat Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    Have you got any curtains that need a thick winter lining?

Or perhaps make a door curtain to keep out the cold - you could always use a cheap piece of material to cover up the drabness :)

On the charity front - what about the local animal shelter - I bet they won't care what they look like!
  • MrsAnnie
    MrsAnnie Posts: 679 Forumite
    A petowner that has dogs (possibly an animal shelter) could put them to use. A friend always gives me her old towels to use for my dogs and I am always pleased for the hand downs.

Put them on Freecycle; someone will gladly take them off your hands!
    I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he ha
    s had to overcome while trying to succeed. Booker T Washington
  • I remember sleeping under those sort of blankets as a child !!

I was wondering if they would make a warm lining for a patchwork quilt or a base for rug making for someone crafty. The ones I remember were a bit like wooly hessian so could have wool hooked into them perhaps?
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • esmf73
    esmf73 Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    I'd have them like a shot from Freecycle - to do exactly what Mags_Cat suggested with curtains. I'd add extra linings to my curtains in Yorkshire and then any left over would be kept for bedding - Not bothered what they look like when I have my eyes closed!!! LOL
    2014 will be all about ME!
    ( well that hasn't happened!!!)
    Mortgage free. Will be debt free in Nov 2014. Credit card £250
  • soappie
    soappie Posts: 6,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Do you have a homeless shelter near you that you could donate them too? Or, if you're brave, find your nearest homeless down and out sleeping place and just hand them out. I've done that in the past...
    I am the leading lady in the movie of my life
  • BonandDom
    BonandDom Posts: 497 Forumite
    Most animal shelters will take them if you don't know any pet owners who would be grafteful - i would give big hugs to anyone who offered them to me
    Light travels faster than sound - that's why you can see someone who looks bright until they open their mouth.
  • How about putting under your bottom sheet in your bed? Old blankets are so warm and I find that it makes a real difference. Maybe keep one for the car if you do not have one in it, for breakdowns etc
  • Its a testament to the old fashioned quality of our wool manufacturers that these blankets are still going strong

Do you have a Salvation Army or Red Cross near you? - I am sure that they would be delighted to receive these good quality blankets.

Our local animal shelter appreciates any donations of blankets, duvet, towels etc so I'm sure that that would be another good option

.. or lay them out of site under your bottom bed sheet to keep you extra toasty
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    100% wool blankets? You could felt them down for cushions or draught excluders, or use them as the inner or backing for a throw, or cut them down and plait them into rag rugs, or needlefelt onto them, or make loose covers from them, or curtain linings, or...even grey blankets look very retro and cottagey if you use thick bright wool to blanket stitch onto them, or you could stitch felt appliques onto them.

Failing that, ideal pet blankets or, as has been suggested, one for the car and one under your bottom sheet at least.
    Val.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport