[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] "Shopper Discount & Rewards"

Options

Comments

• trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • sylv123
    Options
    :mad: This has just happened to me bought tickets on easyjet then clicked the £10 cash back offer - luckily I do check my statements. Apparently by entering your email address you agree to easyjet forwarding your bank details. Appalling!!!!!!!!!!!! Have just contacted them and they promised me a refund in the next 10 days. How can they get away with this?
  • kt2003_uk
    Options
    I have just cancelled my Shopper Discounts suscription online and been told I will receive my last month's £8 back. However, I was charged for 3 months so am trying to get all of my money back.

EASYLIFE are responsible for me being subscribed to this service.
  • simbo36
    Options
    I was caught in the same way, thankfully a quick phone got my money back.
  • Spamface_2
    Spamface_2 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    It is interesting to see how some people have been paying for months without realising. Does that mean that the Shopper Discounts company does not send out the details of all the 'great' discounts that you are subscribing to? Surely they should send out confirmation emails and information through the post regarding all the discounts and also one of those 7 days cancellation notices.

I'm still to find someone who is intentionally subscribing to this service.

Definitely sounds like one for Watchdog!
  • ElectricPeace
    Options
    I've only just noticed two payments of £8 for the last two months to Shopper Discounts and so I phoned the number on the credit card details, and I think I've cancelled it. I'll have to wait and see. I've just remembered how it happened: I clicked on a £10 voucher after buying a laptop from Misco. Be careful where you click!
  • miningmaven
    miningmaven Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 9 December 2013 at 4:02PM
    Options
    [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM].

This is type of opt-out [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] was big in the eighties with banks and insurance schemes and I honestly thought it had been run out of town by Trading Standards.

I innocently claimed my £10 cashback from easyjet. They get you to give your credit card and give you some reassuring blurb along the lines that they need it for the purpose of giving you cash back...

Because I trusted easyjet i filled it in. There was nowhere in that application that told you specifically that you were going to be paying £8 per month for the service. If it was mentioned, it was buried in small print and certainly not detailed as a consideration of receiving the £10 cash back.

I only just noticed the £8 debited today as I was paying my credit card bill online.

I will be speaking to someone tomorrow at my card company (morgan stanley owned by Goldfish) and also shoppers discount direct.

I am also livid with easyjet.com. They are in the Airline business and should stick to what they do.
    As far as I’m concerned they are equally culpable for facilitating this scam.

This is going to back fire on them something stupid.

Firstly I intend to contactSaad Hammad, Chief Commercial Officer of Easyjet to let him know in no uncertain terms how disgusted I am with their involvement and ask him for more details of their commercial relationship with shoppers discount – If my suspicions are correct I have a sneaky feeling that they also get a cut of the £8 per month. We shall see.

His details are here:

London Luton Airport
    Luton, Bedfordshire LU2 9LS

United Kingdom

Phone: 44 15 8244 3330

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/About/Information/infopack_keypersonnel.html

http://investing.businessweek.com/businessweek/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=8675429&capId=2089681&previousCapId=2089681&previousTitle=easyJet plc

Anyone else who feels as strongly as I do I suggest you do the same.

[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]

The sooner this is picked up by trading standards and watchdog the better.

Needless to say i will be doing my bit.

Miningmaven
  • miningmaven
    Options
    also suggest people post tehir comments on the daily mirror blog.

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/investigat...-might-ge.html
  • miningmaven
    miningmaven Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 9 December 2013 at 4:03PM
    Options
    I just made a quick call to one of my contacts who is in sales promotions.

[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]

He also wishes to remain anonymous.

What he confirmed to me I had a sneaky suspicion about and now it is all starting to make sense.

The bottom line is that Easyjet, Interflora, National Express et al actually get kick backs for every one who signs up for £8 per month.
    Whether they are ongoing monthly payments (up to 50%) or one off upfront will depend on the agreement. But the bottom line is that your airline, flower-shop or coach company is much more culpable than you may have originally thought.
  • Salvador69
    Salvador69 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 9 December 2013 at 4:03PM
    Options
    WARNING:
    I booked a hotel room through Expedia in early April and have only just noticed that when booking I also had been suckered into the Shopper Discounts & Rewards [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] as since then £8 has been taken off my credit card each month!!
    Today I called their phone number printed on my credit card statement (0808 2341539) and was able to cancel my 'subscription' of £8 per month through their automated system and this has since been confirmed by e-mail. Hope this cancellation is genuine! [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure