Getting money to pay for funeral, help?

2»

Comments

• When my Dad died both the bank and BS said they would release money to the funeral directors to pay for the funeral. A copy of the death certificate and an invoice from the funeral directors should be enough for them to release funds to pay the £975.

We had to pay part of the fee before the funeral. This covered the cost of the crematorium, florist, etc.
  • horseykitty
    horseykitty Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When my mum died last year the funeral director wanted £1000 up front, despite the fact that they'd buried my father a few years previously. I had to borrow the money off my in- laws. The final bill which was over £5000 was paid by Santander from her account upon receipt of her death certificate and the funeral directors bill.
  • redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    it is becoming the norm for them to ask for at least 1k upfront,i know someone who had to loan the money to pay the undertaker recently
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    What if no one pays the money upfront?
  • miss_hh
    miss_hh Posts: 194 Forumite
    What if there is no money in the persons account? DOes the funeral director hold the body?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The local authority will arrange a basic funeral if no-one in the family has any money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure