Parcelnet courier work???

Does/ has anybody worked for parcelnet as a courier and wouldn't mind telling me how much you get paid? Also would it be classed as self-employed?Do you get petrol money etc, can you use a normal car? how many parcels are you expected to deliver?.....so many questions!!!! I will be very grateful for any answers!!!!:grin:

Comments

• My husband was a parcelnet courier for quite a while. It is a self employed position, you can use your car and you can claim 40p a mile when you do your tax. The pay is OK, you have issues of catalogues come out through the year which you get paid extra. If you have a decent round you can earn about £800 to £1000 without any catalogues. The average amouint of parcels a day will be roughly around 40 to 60 but you will have multiple drops where some customers have a few parcels together. If there is anything else i can help you with then let me know. Its paid monthly on the 2nd tuesday in the month direct into a bank account.
  • Nhughz
    Nhughz Posts: 2 Newbie
    Does anyone have any contact numbers or websites for this sort of work. Thanks.
  • parcelnet can be reached on 0800 783 7947 or their recruitment page is http://www.parcelnet.co.uk/recruitment.html
  • Nhughz
    Nhughz Posts: 2 Newbie
    Thanks for the reply.
  • Alexandria
    Alexandria Posts: 345 Forumite
    Is this something you could do with a baby in tow do you think? (sorry to hijack!)
    Make £5 per day in August= £100/£155
    Paid MS- £5+ £10 GR, £5 RE, £15 MS
    £65 ebay profit
    Waiting on payment- E160 BAI
    :j
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Alexandria wrote: »
    Is this something you could do with a baby in tow do you think? (sorry to hijack!)

Probably not, would you want to leave the little one in the car / van locked whilst you walked to the premises to drop the item off, you may only be able to park on the road, but then walk 200 - 400 metres around various business premises or homes to drop a parcel off, or carry them with you as well as carrying / moving the parcels which could easily be up to 20KG each.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • I currently work for Parcelnet and whilst I love the job I do feel that they could treat their couriers more fairly .
    Before anyone were to rush into this line of work I would warn you of some of the pitfalls .
    You must supply your own vehicle , pay all the running costs with no subsidy from Parcelnet , not even for fuel .
    Furthermore , to be legal whilst delivering in your vehicle you must have hire and reward insurance , again at your own cost .
    An average round is 40 - 60 parcels a day and while in rural areas you can get as much as £1.60p per parcel the vast majority get just 45p per parcel .

So 60 parcels at 45p = £27 .

There are very small enhancements and bonuses but not massive amounts , also catalogues periodically .
    If you work smart you can earn a reasonable wage from them although I would point out that you have to put a lot of effort in at times .

On the good side - it gets you out in the open , not tied to a desk .
  • dawnydee73
    dawnydee73 Posts: 1,564 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    You must supply your own vehicle , pay all the running costs with no subsidy from Parcelnet , not even for fuel .

Been self employed you should be able to claim 40p per mile for fuel.

I did a google on Parcelnet a while back and a lot of couriers don't like the way they are treated, however I would like to do this work so I could be slightly more flexible than what I am now.
  • Thank you dawnydee73 - I will look into this further , but I have to say as a member of a forum where Parcelnet couriers from all over the UK post no one has mentioned this before .
    I hope that you enjoy this work , it is a very rewarding job and once you have an established round the work is a lot easier as there are a lot of regular customers on each round .
    The best thing about it IS the flexibility it affords you .
    Good luck in finding work , thank you for replying and if you want me to find a courier / field manager in your area I will be only too willing to help where I can .
  • dawnydee73
    dawnydee73 Posts: 1,564 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Good luck in finding work , thank you for replying and if you want me to find a courier / field manager in your area I will be only too willing to help where I can .

I think this is it from inland revenue about the 40p per mile

I have applied to Parcelnet and they said they would only be back in touch if there were jobs available.

I applied to TNT but they want a clean licence and I have points on mine.

I am having trouble getting through to DHL but will keep trying.

I am going to do deliveries for HDNL but they only do catalogues and this is 4 times a year
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure