Can you get DLA if you have cancer?

i was just wondering if anyone might know if it's possible to get Disability Living Allowance if you have cancer? Specifically Breast or Cervical cancer?

Any info would be great, thanks.
SAVINGS: £63.86 // £3,000

Comments

• yes, absolutely. dla relates to your disability, not your illness. So if your disability meets the criteria you would be eligible
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It's not about having a specific condition but having an illness or disability that causes care and mobility needs.

"You may be eligible for Disability Living Allowance if you have walking difficulties or need help with your personal care. You must have had these needs for three months and expect to need this help or have these difficulties for at least another six months."

Full info here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Disabledpeople/DG_10011816

Many cancer charities have benefit advisors. One of my friends who had chemo for her cancer got a free mattress, complimentary therapies and so on from a few cancer care charities in her area.
  • My Mum has breast cancer, and she also completely shattered the bone in her right foot. She couldn't get DLA for any of this - god knows why. Yet my sister gets DLA for her depression. We've since found out Mum has Cervical Cancer, and is going to have to have a hysterectomy as well. The extra money from the DLA would come in handy as the hospital is over 25 miles away. We got in touch with McMillan when she had breast cancer, they gave her £300 so we could buy a new washing machine as ours has broke, and for her to buy new clothes as she lost lots of weight from being on chemo and just generally being ill, and she had none that fit her.

I will get her to seek advice from a cancer charity then, thanks :)
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    There are two separate routes to DLA.
    The first is having care or mobility needs.
    The second is qualifying through 'special rules'.
    This gives the highest rate care component, to people whos doctor confirms that they are unlikely to live more than 6 months.

If she was not terminally ill (within 6 months), and broke a bone in her foot, if this was expected to heal, then she fails both the 'forward looking' - you are required to have the need for a further 6 months, and the 'backward looking' test (need has to have existed for 3 months).

In short, she's eligible for DLA only if her doctor agrees she is unlikely to last 6 months, or if she has care or mobility needs that have lasted 3 months, and will last 6 months in the future.

The actual diagnosis, as has been said above is unimportant.
  • BigAunty
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 January 2012 at 4:09PM
    My Mum has breast cancer, and she also completely shattered the bone in her right foot. She couldn't get DLA for any of this - god knows why.

I can see why you are mystified and upset about this but ultimately you are comparing apples with pears, to be honest.

I'm with the previous poster on this - It's really never about the name of the condition but how it affects the person's care and mobility needs, plus the timespan of these needs (because of the 3 month, plus further 6 month criteria).

A short serious illness (of any type), for example, will never qualify for DLA. If you don't believe that your sister qualifies for DLA according to the guidance on the DirectGov website then do encourage her to end her claim.

There is an appeal process for DLA, I believe, so if you feel your mother qualifies (according to the guidance, not by comparing her condition with another claimant), then ask a cancer support charity to help you with the appeal as they may have experience in this area and help with the paperwork.

Perhaps there is a local charity that helps with transport for hospital appointments?
  • I understand what you are saying.

With regards to her foot - this happened in July 2010, and she is still unable to walk properly now. She has metal plates in her ankle etc. When we go shopping etc, we can't walk for too long as her foot starts to hurt, so we usual have to get a wheel chair from the mobility centre.

With the cancer, she has just been diagnosed with this one. The Breast cancer she had to have an operation which meant that she literally couldn't do anything for months. She wasn't even allowed to lift a kettle for 2/3 months! (She had a Double Mastectomy). She now is going to have to have a Hysterectomy, and possibly Chemotherapy again.

I am going to get her to appeal the decision (it took them 2 months to make a decision with her, but with my sister it only took them 2 weeks!)
  • BigAunty
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Get assistance with the appeal from a benefit or cancer support charity who will have experienced advisers that can help you.
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Ask the Macmillan charity to help your mother fill in the DLA form. Good luck.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    With a hysterectomy, for whatever reason, she may well not have any care or mobility needs for the required time. A lot will depend on whether she needs a course of chemotherapy.

• I am going to get her to appeal the decision (it took them 2 months to make a decision with her, but with my sister it only took them 2 weeks!)

2 months is more like the usual time. Your sister was lucky.

The appeal will relate to her care and mobility needs at the time she made the original application. If that has changed significantly for the worst since then, she might be better making a fresh application. Macmillan benefits advisor should be able to help work out which is best to do.

There's a strict time limit of 1 month for appealing DLA decisions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure