Anglian Windows - any good?

Comments

• itsbeef wrote:
    Always go by word of mouth when buying DG.

I had Anglia visit for a quote and it came in at £14,750 which apparently INCLUDED a 30% discount!!!!

I remembered an old friend who took over his fathers DG business, gave him a call and he recently finished fitting 8 large windows, back door, 3 large bays, one pair of patio doors and a small windows for £5,100!!!!!!!!

The windows all came from the same manufacturers as the Anglian windows but as his overheads were smaller he didnt have to add on the extra £9,000!

Well worth looking at smaller companies but only if you get good feedback from word of mouth.

Where abots are you? If in Exeter, Devon I can get you his number.....?

:confused: :rotfl: :T :j :beer:
    with reference to this quote 'all the windows came from the same manufacturers as anglian '
    Anglian makes their own window's from scratch unlike most local companies who buy their windows in and anglian do not make window's for other companies.

As far as the product is concerned it is at the top end of the market not all upvc window's are the same but however good the product is alot of it is down to the how good the fitter's are.
    hope this help's
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You have to ask how they can afford to employ salesmen who are prepared to spend hours and hours not making sales.
    Happy chappy
  • italiastar
    italiastar Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    I wouldn't trust ANYTHING a salesperson say's - in my experience they mislead, lie and couldn't give a ......... once you've signed to contract - this applies to all companies.

I once had an Anglian salesperson tell me to "go forth and multiply" when I was asking questions about their warranty. Despite this, they fitted my windows a few years ago and were excellent - they were the cheapest (partly due to the 1st incident) and the fitters were excellent.
  • italiastar wrote:
    I once had an Anglian salesperson tell me to "go forth and multipy"

Eh? I don't understand!:confused:
  • italiastar
    italiastar Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    Eh? I don't understand!:confused:

Go forth = "Off"

Multiply = the act of reproduction.

Swap the two around and you have - (act of reproduction) off ! ;)
  • We had Anglian windows at our first house and they where very good after 20plus years(in fact our youngest Son worked there in the warehouse at the time so got a good deal price wise)...We moved to 'this' place and happened to have Angilan Windows again...fitted around 15 years ago now and they are excellent. Mrs Happy
  • Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite
    You have to ask how they can afford to employ salesmen who are prepared to spend hours and hours not making sales.
    Easily; the salesmen are on commission only.

Anglian etc only have to pay them if and when they sell something. The only cost to Anglian is recruitment and training costs.
  • Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite
    david69 wrote:
    with reference to this quote 'all the windows came from the same manufacturers as anglian '
    Anglian makes their own window's from scratch unlike most local companies who buy their windows in and anglian do not make window's for other companies.

As far as the product is concerned it is at the top end of the market not all upvc window's are the same but however good the product is alot of it is down to the how good the fitter's are.
    hope this help's
    That was certainly true 25 years ago. In the early 1980’s I worked for Hoechst selling plastic raw materials to industry and Anglian were a potential client for our PVC. I think the owner was called George Williams and his factory and home base was near Norwich. He made all his own windows and did not supply anyone else. I invited him to Frankfurt to see our PVC production facilities and visit some German reference sites. He agreed to go but insisted we travel in his private jet which was fun though we never got much business from him. At the time they were certainly producing some of the best quality windows around and that is one of the reasons why I chose Anglian when I did my own house, a decision I never regretted. Another key reason was that I liked the profile of their window frames which closely emulated traditional wooden frames. The double glazing units were also high quality and we have not had a single failure nor any condensation between the two panes

I chose them again for an extension 5 years later and again was absolutely delighted with the result. High quality windows professionally installed that still look almost new many years later.

I’m well out of date now but I would not be surprised if Anglian are still at the top of the tree as far as quality is concerned.

Of course so much still depends on the local fitters but Anglian would certainly be on my shortlist if I ever needed windows again.;)
  • I have just had a new uPVC door fitted by Everest - pricey and to be honest not a bad job but customer serivce is shocking - AVOID at all costs!
  • STAR_BUCK
    STAR_BUCK Posts: 357 Forumite
    Sorry to hijack the thread but i just got a quote yesterday for a new upvc front door, white georgian style with a glass semicircle on top and glass in the panels, fully fitted with FENSA certificate for £620. Is that a good price? It's with a local company
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure