Installing a catflap in a pvc door?

Hi all.

We currently have a pvc backdoor with a glass panel top and bottom. We would like to install a catflap, but are not sure if this can be done in a glass panel or whether we have to get that replaced with a pastic panel or indeed if it's not easier just to replace the door.

I'd appreciate any comments from MSE'ers who have a setup similar to this.

Many thanks,

Gorilla

Comments

• xela_17
    xela_17 Posts: 421 Forumite
    I'd also like to know the answer to this question. Also, if anyone knows whether you can buy a PVC door with a catflap already installed.
    What did I do at work before I discovered MSE?!

DFD - WAS: a while ago

NOW - not sure, due to boyfriend going back to uni for masters and now pgce. Worth it in the long run!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!
  • Quincy_3
    Quincy_3 Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    You will have to get a Glazier to measure the Glass in the door as you WILL need a new DG Unit, just pick out the catflap you want and then phone a company for a measure up and they will take catflap with them and do all the measurements back at the workshop then order a unit with the correct hole in and then come out and fit the new unit, expect to pay about £80 or so just get a quote first.
  • thetope
    thetope Posts: 897
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    what we did was we popped out the double glazing panel and stored it somewhere safe, got some marine plywood (cant remember the thickness, but the same as the double glazing unit), sprayed it white gloss to match the door, then cut out the cat flap shape in the wood, installed the panel and that was that. you would never know it wasn't meant to be there. Of course it does cut down on the light through the door but the glass panel always needed cleaned etc. This means we can replace it back to the original state easily if the time comes to sell the house - and can take the cat flap to the next house if they have a pvc door!
  • Quincy_3
    Quincy_3 Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Also you can get a proper Blank to go in the door instead of glass, thats the white blank panels that you see at the bottom of some doors and a Glazing firm will cut a hole out of that, whilst this may take a day or so an ordered unit will take about a week or so but the old unit will be left in place at all times whilst the new one is being sorted, plus this has the proper white plastic finish and wont flake.
  • gorilla
    gorilla Posts: 217 Forumite
    Thanks to all your replies. There seems to be something wrong with the thanks button at my end????
  • wobbley
    wobbley Posts: 1,965
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Why not just give the cat a key?
    Light blue touchpaper and stand well back !
  • thetope wrote:
    what we did was we popped out the double glazing panel and stored it somewhere safe, got some marine plywood (cant remember the thickness, but the same as the double glazing unit), sprayed it white gloss to match the door, then cut out the cat flap shape in the wood, installed the panel and that was that. you would never know it wasn't meant to be there. Of course it does cut down on the light through the door but the glass panel always needed cleaned etc. This means we can replace it back to the original state easily if the time comes to sell the house - and can take the cat flap to the next house if they have a pvc door!

How easy was it to pop out the panel?

We want a cheap to solution to this situation as we are renting and have to restore the door back to it's original state when we leave.

Cheers, Phil
  • HugoSP
    HugoSP Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    There was another thread on this very subject recently.

IIRC the concensus of opinion was the insulated upvc panel. Cut a hole in this just as you would with wood.

The insulated panel will perform better from an insulation point of view than wood, assuming the cat flap won't let too much cold air in.
    Behind every great man is a good woman
    Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
    £2 savings jar - now at £3.42:rotfl:
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We had to change the decorative moulded panel in the bottom of our door for a plain flat pvc one, and fit the cat flap into that. It cost us about £80 for the panel and the chap from the windows-and-doors company fitted it for us for free. You will probably need a cat flap with a "tunnel" type liner, as pvc doors are basically two layers of plastic and hollow in the middle. We got a staywell one that does the job fine for less than £20
  • fimonkey
    fimonkey Posts: 1,238
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have been up against this many times,all research pointed to the best option being ...
    changing the bottom glazed panel by popping the beads off (a filling knife is good for this) and cutting a board of the same thickness and size as the glass.
    Next,cut the hole according to instructions.
    Then prime the board with a 50/50 mix of PVA and water and repeat after first (generous) coat.
    then spray or paint the surface with sufficient coats to cover well,i prefer a spray as it gives a better finish.
    Next you need to fit the catflap into the board.
    then pop the board in the door and re-bead it!
    ###TOP TIP### cover your hammer with an old white sock/cleanwhite rag to protect the beads as you tap them back in!
    Itll can be an idea to use a board 1-2mm thinner than the glazed unit to allow for paint and ease of refitting.

Apologies if im teaching my gran to suck eggs?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure